• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

OpenGL Game progamming book: DX8 sdk :(

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 GalaxyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 September 2001 - 11:07 AM

The directX8 sdk installer doesnt wanna work. The gamedev site for this book only lists the missing source code but doesnt refer to how, if possible, to make the DX installer work. Am I shit out of luck and gonna have to download the sdk using 56k or is there a way to get a new cd sent to me? I cant seem to reach primatech for help!

Sponsor:

#2 mkaltner   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 September 2001 - 11:18 AM

$10 (CD + Shipping) and I''ll mail you a verified working version of the SDK.

But honestly, I didn''t try the one on the CD, not sure if it''s broken or not. I seem to remember people saying they had problems with it though. Sorry, don''t know how to help.

- Mike

#3 akudoi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 September 2001 - 12:36 PM

actually the one on the opengl game programming cd is busted..
well i had problems installing it. the files are incomplete or something..

i just downloaded the sdk off microsofts site. i dont have a link on me but just search for it. its not that hard to find there.

#4 ExellonDeveloper   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 September 2001 - 01:27 PM

www.msdn.microsoft.com/downloads, then go to the menu on the left and go to Graphics and Multimedia -> DirectX -> DirectX 8.0 Partial SDK Downloads. Hope that helps.

Free Spirits Studios

Edited by - ExellonDeveloper on September 9, 2001 8:27:58 PM

#5 Drizzt DoUrden   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 09 September 2001 - 02:14 PM

Alot of things don''t work with that book... such as the code in Chapter 9 for the Torus in the Sky! Damn, Ive been trying all day to fix it and all I get is linking errors(and the source code was downloaded directly from their site, too...). The Direct X SDK doesn''t work for me either.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 September 2001 - 08:27 AM

I had this problem too! I think that the reason is that the guys have checked this stupid 8.3 option in their winzip program so if you unpack it it would create dirs within this BlaBla~1 style so the setup would not find all the files needed. If you have installed it you just see the dirs that are naturaly smaller than or equal to 8 (or 11 ? not sure) letters.

I think you may find those small versions (just headers and libs) of the dx8sdk on microsofts webpage (msdn.microsoft.com/downloads) so that it is no problem for you to download it with your modem.

Sebbi

#7 rudy2   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 September 2001 - 11:00 AM

Many books come with corrupted cds or they are bad in the first place and all the produced cds are bad. This book is a good one though

#8 Lukerd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 September 2001 - 06:59 AM

Hi

This is a known problem.
If you want a replacement CD go to:

glbook.gamedev.net

It''s free and delivery is quite quick.

#9 RZ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2001 - 04:56 AM

Hello...

Just wanted to say to Drizzt DoUrden that you need to link glaux.lib opengl32.lib glu32.lib to the project...then it works fine.

#10 GalaxyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 September 2001 - 08:15 AM

Obviously the guy who works at primatech and used winzip or whatever has never heard of quality assurance. Its called testing your damn work on a clean machine. When he double clicked the damn zip and saw that winzip opened up, it was good enough and called it a day..lol..morons. >:/ Oh well, 8 hours of downloading and I know have DX8...bastards.

#11 Drizzt DoUrden   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 24 September 2001 - 08:20 AM

Do you think I am an idiot? LOL. Hehe.

My video card drivers dont support environment mapping. That was my problem, not the book

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

#12 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 24 September 2001 - 05:03 PM

The DLed SDK from MS is only 140M, not half the size on CD. what else is in the CD''s version?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS