• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

A legacy question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 include4eto   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hi, everyone. As you might have noticed, I am new to GameDEV, so if i am posting this in a wrong section or doing anything not as supposed to be done please tell me.
My question is about a function i stumbled on while going through the ARB FBO documentation. The function in question is getRenderBufferImage (). Google yielded no results (apart from the aforementioned site), so i was hoping that someone has heard of it or perhaps even used it. If so, please give me a hint to what it did (as it is no longer supported, i think?).

P.P.: I am asking about this because this specific function i have to include in a report and since no one has heard of it i have hit quite a thick wall.

Sponsor:

#2 karwosts   Members   -  Reputation: 840

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Where exactly did you read about this? From the ARB FBO extension it looks like it never existed at all (was rejected by developers):

Features we have rejected include:

* GetRenderbufferImage (benefit/demand does not seem to
outweigh the additional complexity.)

My Projects:
Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

#3 include4eto   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Where exactly did you read about this? From the ARB FBO extension it looks like it never existed at all (was rejected by developers):

Features we have rejected include:

* GetRenderbufferImage (benefit/demand does not seem to
outweigh the additional complexity.)

It is exactly where i read it. Yet again, they mention demand which would suggest people actually wanted this function to exist. To what purpose?

#4 karwosts   Members   -  Reputation: 840

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

I assume that someone may have wanted a method from which to extract pixel data from a renderbuffer. When drawing to an FBO channel you can either write to a texture or a renderbuffer, both being similar except that a renderbuffer can't be used as a texture, and may be simpler to implement as a tradeoff for not being able to use it as a texture, I'm not really sure.

If you really wanted to render to an FBO and retrieve pixel data, you could just as easily draw to a texture and get the pixels from that, so maybe that's why they decided not to have a dedicated function to retrieve renderbuffer data.
My Projects:
Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

#5 include4eto   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for the quick response. Seems quite logical to remove such a function (or not write it in the first place) so i'll go with that in my repost. Besides, i was considering making up something about pixel data anyway.

#6 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 805

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

I assume that someone may have wanted a method from which to extract pixel data from a renderbuffer. When drawing to an FBO channel you can either write to a texture or a renderbuffer, both being similar except that a renderbuffer can't be used as a texture, and may be simpler to implement as a tradeoff for not being able to use it as a texture, I'm not really sure.

If you really wanted to render to an FBO and retrieve pixel data, you could just as easily draw to a texture and get the pixels from that, so maybe that's why they decided not to have a dedicated function to retrieve renderbuffer data.

You don't need to render to a texture and get pixels from the texture.
Render to the render buffer and use glReadPixels.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS