• Create Account

Application support for special characters

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 fractor   Members   -  Reputation: 803

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hello! I have an application with a lot of win32 controls, like text fields. The application uses the Multi-Byte character set (I'm using Visual Studio 2008). Can I add support for characters like ă â î ş ș ţ ț without switching to Unicode? I would like to be able to display labels with these characters, as well as have the user type these kinds of characters in the text field and see the correct result (at the current time if I try to write one of the characters in one of the text fields I get strange garbage characters).
Oh ... I forgot to mention that I'm using C++.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Anon Mike   Members   -  Reputation: 1098

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

Just switch to Unicode and be done with it.

Saying that you are using "the Multi-Byte character set" meaningless. There are literally hundreds of them, all different. Some will support the "special" character you care about and some won't. This is exactly the problem Unicode is meant to solve.
-Mike

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19375

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

Is there any particular reason you don't want to switch to Unicode?

#4 fractor   Members   -  Reputation: 803

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the answers.

@jbadams: I just want to add support for a couple of characters (the ones mentioned in my original post) and I want to keep changes to a minimum. Is there any way I can do this ?

#5 TSlappy   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

Are your characters in ASCII table?
If so then check appropriate font you use whether font contain these characters.
What type of C++ program is it? Simple Win/console app of some game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS