• Create Account

I want to do sprite drawing for a fighting game, is drawing by hand/using a scanner easier...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Fountaine   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Subject, drawing sprites by hand, may be time consuming, but it seems a helluva lot easier than doing it in MS Paint/Photoshop.

Sponsor:

#2 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2112

2Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

Get a drawing tablet.

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29567

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

Get a drawing tablet.

and photoshop.

#4 Andrew Kabakwu   Members   -  Reputation: 705

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Get a drawing tablet.

and photoshop.

Any drawing program will do e.g. Gimp, Paint.net etc
You dont have to us photoshop.

#5 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

You don't have to use photoshop, but photoshop elements comes with a Wacom tablet anyways, along with Corel Painter Essentials. I'm not sure how well Paint.Net supports tablets, it's more than just a mouse shaped like a pen. :)

#6 PropheticEdge   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Get a drawing tablet.

and photoshop.

Any drawing program will do e.g. Gimp, Paint.net etc
You dont have to us photoshop.

Careful though! The GIMP has some pretty dodgy tablet support. My Graphire will not work with it, like, at all. Before committing to a tablet + GIMP, do some research to make sure it will work.

Also, for doing old-school sprite art I really like this tiny program called GraphicsGale.

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

#7 mind in a box   Members   -  Reputation: 568

0Likes

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

For drawing MyPaint is really good. It's also free, just google it!

#8 Bill Fountaine   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

To make a decent-looking sprite for a fighting game, if I was to draw them by hand, and not have like, 7 frames like Mortal Kombats, how many frames would I need at minimum to make the movement look decent?

#9 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

To make a decent-looking sprite for a fighting game, if I was to draw them by hand, and not have like, 7 frames like Mortal Kombats, how many frames would I need at minimum to make the movement look decent?

I think that's too broad of a question, and the answer can change on a case by case basis depending on the look and feel of the game. It also comes down to timing more than actual frames. A 30 frame attack doesn't mean 30 unique drawings.

Try this. Read the whole series, but these 3 links are most relevant.
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_making_fighting_game_sprite.php
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_breathing_life_into_sprites.php
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_animating_basic_attack.php

#10 Bill Fountaine   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

Doing pixel drawings is a pain in the ass, it seems like it'd be easier to draw them by hand, and scan them/retrace them.

#11 prh99   Members   -  Reputation: 501

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

I found the techniques suggested in Better Programmer Art produce reasonable results. Basically draw your art large then scale it down. As for Mortal Kombat, I believe they actual used video of actors to generate the character sprites. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Turk played Sub Zero, Scorpion, and Reptile in MK3.

I've been using Paint Tool SAI which has a nice adjustable line stabilizer for tablets. Which helps a lot until you get comfortable using a tablet.
Patrick

#12 Bill Fountaine   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:11 AM

I found the techniques suggested in Better Programmer Art produce reasonable results. Basically draw your art large then scale it down. As for Mortal Kombat, I believe they actual used video of actors to generate the character sprites. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Turk played Sub Zero, Scorpion, and Reptile in MK3.

I've been using Paint Tool SAI which has a nice adjustable line stabilizer for tablets. Which helps a lot until you get comfortable using a tablet.

yea, for MK they used motion capture.

#13 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

They didn't use motion capture. They photographed the actors in front of a green screen.

Doing pixel drawings is a pain in the ass, it seems like it'd be easier to draw them by hand, and scan them/retrace them.

Had you bothered to properly read anything, the articles showed you how to do just that. There really isn't an easy shortcut. It's a skill you have to learn.

This thread has been a huge waste of time.

In other software we usually use the shift key for that. Holding shift will lock drawing to a straight line along the current axis.
Shift + Click will draw a line from point to point. Also very useful for custom selections.

How does it work in paint tool sai?

#14 prh99   Members   -  Reputation: 501

1Likes

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

They didn't use motion capture. They photographed the actors in front of a green screen.

Had you bothered to properly read anything, the articles showed you how to do just that. There really isn't an easy shortcut. It's a skill you have to learn.

This thread has been a huge waste of time.

In other software we usually use the shift key for that. Holding shift will lock drawing to a straight line along the current axis.
Shift + Click will draw a line from point to point. Also very useful for custom selections.

How does it work in paint tool sai?

It stabilizes for curves etc as well, it removes an adjustable about of jitter form your stroke so it's easier to make smooth clean lines and curves.

The first circle is stabilized, second is free hand.
New Canvas.jpg
Patrick

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS