• Create Account

Vertex Arrays

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ANSI2000   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 September 2001 - 10:46 AM

I want to use vertex arays to draw my objects on screen. Is it better to compile all the vertices fo al objects in one massive scene array and then just draw that one or do each object one by one?? Also I guess if I where to put all vertices of each object within one arary and then draw it I would have to write my own transformation routines to be able to rotate the vertcies etc.. instead of using the ogl transforms... Also how much more perfomance does locking give? All or most objects on the scene will be dynamic, so I guess I can define dynamic and static objects so to figure which arays to lock or not...

Sponsor:

#2 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 09 September 2001 - 04:48 PM

>>I want to use vertex arays to draw my objects on screen.
Is it better to compile all the vertices fo al objects in one massive scene array and then just draw that one or do each object one by one??<<

normally not, actually most likely not the driver will split this group up into smaller lots, i believe even a gefroce3 handles max ±4000 verts/indices (with larger anmounts itll split them up into smaller groups costing performance)

>>Also how much more perfomance does locking give?<<
depends on what youre doing if ure doing multiple passes on a single mesh this can be good, if u arent then this can cost performance. as always test it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS