• Create Account

Please give me some advice about game developing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yang G   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hi

I am a new guy to game industry and will go to a online-game develop inc as a game developer, in order to promote myself, I have read <Tricks of the windows game programming gurus> & the "dragon book", I do most of all the examples in these books above by myself. so I have got some concept about game programming, directX and graphics theory.
but i encounter a big problem while reading< 3D Games Real-time Rendering and Software Technology>(I have read to chapter 9, the management of visibility of the complex scene) that the content is too academic to understand and implement. I'm doubting whether i should give up this book and read another one more practical.
so i will appreciate much someone can give me some advice.

Thanks very much.;-)

ps: I prefer 3d game programming and engine programming to others. The company is engaged in the development of online games.

Sponsor:

#2 White Dwarf   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hi

I am a new guy to game industry and will go to a online-game develop inc as a game developer, in order to promote myself, I have read <Tricks of the windows game programming gurus> & the "dragon book", I do most of all the examples in these books above by myself. so I have got some concept about game programming, directX and graphics theory.
but i encounter a big problem while reading< 3D Games Real-time Rendering and Software Technology>(I have read to chapter 9, the management of visibility of the complex scene) that the content is too academic to understand and implement. I'm doubting whether i should give up this book and read another one more practical.

Thanks very much.;-)

ps: I prefer 3d game programming and engine programming to others. The company is engaged in the development of online games.

I'm not the most experienced games developer and I haven't read any of these books but I find that by making my own games or applications that interest me (my first two were a society simulator-using console and a binary clock-using SDL) I gain more experience and learn far more than I do by looking at examples in a book. Maybe if you come back to that chapter after you have more of a practical knowledge base, it will become clearer.

#3 Yang G   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hi

Thanks very much.;-)

I'm not the most experienced games developer and I haven't read any of these books but I find that by making my own games or applications that interest me (my first two were a society simulator-using console and a binary clock-using SDL) I gain more experience and learn far more than I do by looking at examples in a book. Maybe if you come back to that chapter after you have more of a practical knowledge base, it will become clearer.

yeah, what i know are always from the book, and i have not done a actual project. someone advise me to make a deep in STL and take a look at lua ,CEGUI and some game examples opened on net. those are on the way, and i want to gain more techniques on 3d programming so that i can join to the 3d developing team in a short time. I just can't ensure whether it's a good plan.
en,feeling a little puzzle:-(.
thanks any way~~

#4 White Dwarf   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Knowing more techniques is far inferior to being able to successfully utilise a few techniques. As for joining a development team, you won't be hired unless you have a degree and/or good examples of work you have done as part of a indie group or on your own.

#5 Yang G   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Knowing more techniques is far inferior to being able to successfully utilise a few techniques. As for joining a development team, you won't be hired unless you have a degree and/or good examples of work you have done as part of a indie group or on your own.

there is a proverb in china that if you gain more of the base theory, you can stretch it easily(in chinese :厚积薄发). I always follow it. If you can't got the word, please excuse my poor english, aha:-(
only two months remained, maybe i should aim at extending my eyes but not got all the theory by reading these book.
alas, less bodies have a interest in the topic- -

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS