Battle of the Atlantic
This project will aim to be a realistic Naval RTS game based on the Battle of the Atlantic 1939-1945 during World War 2, I’ve chosen this theatre of war as a starting point because it provides a good base to set a style of game and although provides its own technical and design difficulties these are off-set by the concise nature of the battle and can provide a solid basis for future developments and add-ons ( examples Hypothetical & Historical battles involving other Kriegsmarine ships, Mediterranean Theatre and of course finally the Pacific Theatre, which will ultimately be the most challenging theatre to recreate, but made easy by the knowledge gained creating the others). The game would be loosely based on the 90s gaming Series 'Great Naval Battles'.
The aim is to fill a niche market which has been totally ignored by major publishers and developers, the reason for this is clear, they aren’t going to sell several million copies of the game, however when you have a small, but solid almost fanatical fan base like those found at forums like Subsim.com and SimHQ.com it makes that market gap seem much bigger and is almost certain to guarantee sales, particularly if those communities are invited to give feedback and get involved.
Phase 1 :- Decent Design and Technical Documentation done and wound up.
Phase 2:- Prototyping the various game play elements to make sure they are possible to do and maintain a fun and hopefully educational element.
Phase 3:- Go into a full Development cycle.
None at the moment, Once Phase 1 & 2 is complete and we know what the situation is im willing to look at options concerning finance. It won't be huge amounts, few grand here and there and at some point we will need to invest in an engine (currently Unity see below)....this should therefore be considered a 'free-time' project.
After looking at engine options for several weeks, I’m going along with Unity for now, as im impressed with its community, documentation and flexibility. Though Id ideally like a programmer (hence this post) to run things by me as well and give his own opinions and feedback.
Apart from the engine i'm using Studiomax, Xnormal, Crazybump and Photoshop to create artworks.
I'm looking for a Unity Programmer to help provide input and ideas into the design document for BotA and help me prototype them to make sure they are possible and work.
The candidate should also have other qualities:-
- Experienced with Unity, programming with C# or Unity Java (or other suggested engine)
- At least 10 hours per week available to work on the project
- An Interest in World War 2, including weapons, tactics, technology and history of the period.
- Be a Team Player and be prepared to teach and learn off others as necessary.
- Be Reliable – be able to provide evidence of progress and up front and honest when things aren’t working or your situation changes.
PM me via the forum, reply to this post or email me at Hedgeart @ googlemail.com
Previous Work by me.
- Two and Half Years experience working in a software development environment.
- One Indie game title released. (http://www.moddb.com/games/invasion-defender)
- Completed or very close to completing afew applications in C# (learning a bit of programming)
- Worked as an artist on two other indie games, both now on hold for the time being, due to work commitments of the programmers.
- Released a couple of Content Packs for Indie developers (https://www.fallingp...oduct.php/22871 https://www.fallingpixel.com/product.php/22870)
i'm just trying to poke around at the ground work and foundations right now to see if we can pull something viable out the hat and overcome a number of issues ive already ran into.
As mentioned before I hope this will be the first title In a series of games, cataloguing and documenting a history of WW2 naval warfare.
I want to keep the team as small as possible, this is beneficial to us all as its easily managed and although will take longer the benefits for us will be relatively much greater.