• Create Account

Programmer needed with a World War 2 Interest

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

Project name:
Battle of the Atlantic

Brief description:
This project will aim to be a realistic Naval RTS game based on the Battle of the Atlantic 1939-1945 during World War 2, I’ve chosen this theatre of war as a starting point because it provides a good base to set a style of game and although provides its own technical and design difficulties these are off-set by the concise nature of the battle and can provide a solid basis for future developments and add-ons ( examples Hypothetical & Historical battles involving other Kriegsmarine ships, Mediterranean Theatre and of course finally the Pacific Theatre, which will ultimately be the most challenging theatre to recreate, but made easy by the knowledge gained creating the others). The game would be loosely based on the 90s gaming Series 'Great Naval Battles'.

The aim is to fill a niche market which has been totally ignored by major publishers and developers, the reason for this is clear, they aren’t going to sell several million copies of the game, however when you have a small, but solid almost fanatical fan base like those found at forums like Subsim.com and SimHQ.com it makes that market gap seem much bigger and is almost certain to guarantee sales, particularly if those communities are invited to give feedback and get involved.

Target Aim:
Phase 1 :- Decent Design and Technical Documentation done and wound up.

Phase 2:- Prototyping the various game play elements to make sure they are possible to do and maintain a fun and hopefully educational element.

Phase 3:- Go into a full Development cycle.

Compensation:

None at the moment, Once Phase 1 & 2 is complete and we know what the situation is im willing to look at options concerning finance. It won't be huge amounts, few grand here and there and at some point we will need to invest in an engine (currently Unity see below)....this should therefore be considered a 'free-time' project.

Technology:
After looking at engine options for several weeks, I’m going along with Unity for now, as im impressed with its community, documentation and flexibility. Though Id ideally like a programmer (hence this post) to run things by me as well and give his own opinions and feedback.

Apart from the engine i'm using Studiomax, Xnormal, Crazybump and Photoshop to create artworks.

Talent Needed:

I'm looking for a Unity Programmer to help provide input and ideas into the design document for BotA and help me prototype them to make sure they are possible and work.

The candidate should also have other qualities:-
  • Experienced with Unity, programming with C# or Unity Java (or other suggested engine)
  • At least 10 hours per week available to work on the project
  • An Interest in World War 2, including weapons, tactics, technology and history of the period.
  • Be a Team Player and be prepared to teach and learn off others as necessary.
  • Be Reliable – be able to provide evidence of progress and up front and honest when things aren’t working or your situation changes.

PM me via the forum, reply to this post or email me at Hedgeart @ googlemail.com

Previous Work by me.

Additional Information:

i'm just trying to poke around at the ground work and foundations right now to see if we can pull something viable out the hat and overcome a number of issues ive already ran into.

As mentioned before I hope this will be the first title In a series of games, cataloguing and documenting a history of WW2 naval warfare.

I want to keep the team as small as possible, this is beneficial to us all as its easily managed and although will take longer the benefits for us will be relatively much greater.

Any

Sponsor:

#2 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Bump Bump,

Will hopefully have a WIP image of a Flower class Corvette im making which can be used to prototype ideas in the next few days.

Reformatted my computer today, which is something i wanted to do at a later date, but it got a virus and so that was bought forward....yay for a decent backup system :)

#3 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:05 AM

Another shameless Bump,

Sadly my Corvette test model was Sunk after I deleted the project from my back-up drive, amazing what damage a wrong button press can do.

Anyway I do now have a nice clean reformatted PC in preparation for his project. Im also re-doing the design document as that was also lost, not that much done but doing as much as I can without 'proper' programmer input.

Happily several books I ordered on the subject arrived today, including technical drawings of a Flower Class Corvette and a Cruiser. Im going to try and get in touch with the illustrator of those drawings and see if I can get hold of hi-res images....if not ill have to do some scanning.

Anyway,we back tracked due to my own stupid mistake...and now we go forward.

Hurrah!

John

#4 mortus   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

Best of luck with your project mate, sounds really interesting and i would love a tactical RTS ww2 naval warfare sim!

#5 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Many Thanks for the positive response Mortus, much appreciated!

Ive done alot of research recently and studying the books I bought, which I mentioned in the previous post....

Ive also been working hard on an early war Flower Class Corvette of the Canadian Navy (Screenshot attached) which will hopefully provide the model needed to do our prototyping and testing on.....hence why ive deliberately looked to push the poly counts abit.

As you will see from the shots it still has work to do, currently no guns, Hull needs remodeling,wires/cables, no alphas on the textures and of course no diffuse or spec textures....or normal maps on the major parts (currently only unwrapped/ normal mapped various parts to start a 'parts Library' which I hope will dramatically increase the development time of future ships/units)

Largely because im modelling the corvette and reading my books , the GDD hasn't had a huge amount of work on it recently but also im still looking for an interested programmer to help me out with a programmers perspective on how to work some fo the mechanics.

As said screeny attached.

Regards,

John

Attached Files

#6 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Hey all,

this weeks situation report.

Got all the normal mapping/unwrapping finished on the Corvette which im going to be using as a test model.(see below), not done the weapons but im going to hold off on them as ive asked for the excellent 'Naval Weapons of WW2' by N.J.M Campbell for my birthday, in a month (its not like i don't have much to do in the mean time!)

Going to spend the next few days trying to import this model (and all its parts) into Unity (The engine im still mostly concidering going with).

Done some more work on the GDD, still quite way off a point id be willing to 'open it out' to the public as im using the 'Marco Roy's' superb, but highly detailed design template and obviously am still racking my brains over a number of elements (the document for interested parties can be downloaded from here Design document template)

Ive also been staying down the family farm and its a throw back to the stone ages, no real heating, only VHS video and a 486 computer, but it gave me the opportunity to play some Great Naval Battles again, which is the game im taking alot of inspiration for this project from. Ive also started the foundation for data sheets that we will need of the ships and there classes (top speed,cruise speed, armament etc).

Next up is to reinstall Unity again.

John

P.S Yes you have probably guessed still waiting for my programming adviser :)

Attached Files

#7 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:54 AM

Hey all

Despite the lack of interest I have been pushing things along for the last few months.

I have spent most of that time focused on research and game play ideas which are viable and brings the project to life. I have written up an 80 page design document (which includes image/interface mockups) and have collaborated several other documents of various data from a range of sources.

Ive attached a chunk of my GDD document, apologies if the formatting is screwy, as ive had to convert it from .odt to .doc in order to upload it here. Ive also included my current list of research sources ive been studying the last few months.

PM or Drop me a line if your interested in helping me out with this project.

Regards,

John

Attached Files

#8 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have made a 3d naval battleship game, it is very simple, if you like a sample for getting an idea . I have a version in XNA and another in opengl. visit my blog vasilydev.blogspot.com i will make a post with the download link today

#9 Bronco78th   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

I have made a 3d naval battleship game, it is very simple, if you like a sample for getting an idea . I have a version in XNA and another in opengl. visit my blog vasilydev.blogspot.com i will make a post with the download link today

Download is corrupt!

John

#10 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Download is corrupt!

John

sorry , i will upload it again

#11 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Download is corrupt!

John

sorry , i will upload it again

try the second download link a leave a comment on the blog if it was useful for you

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS