• Create Account

Noob making a 2D shooter

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#1 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

It is hard to find people who understand that making a game can be a hobby. I am starting this thread to show you what I am working on and to get some feedback, tips, comments...
It is a little project with uncertain future which I work on in my spare time.
I am at the stage in which I just try to make certain stuff work properly, so the game has just one test level for now.

The "game" uses a modified version of Advanced2D engine (J.S. Harbour). I just might rename it because of all the changes I am making to it.

I am using textures from my third year college project ( SS 2D TLGH ) , and some textures that I made myself or found using Google. Don't think that final version (if I ever finish it) will look like this or it will have anything to do with Serious Sam or Super Mario.
My inspiration are indie games like Soldat , Seal Hunter and Facewound.

Added pixel shader abbility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL8T7uw7ERE

Changed entity management and collision (this is a "stress test")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApAD4oEUzg

To see my other videos or progress you can visit my imaginary software company's Facebook and Youtube page: :D
My YouTube channel
My Facebook page

My stuff that seems to work:
- pixel shaders (for individual sprites or the whole scene)
- multiple layer entity/sprite management
- updated bounding rectangle collision detection (works with "point" sprites, "line" sprites (two-three points :P), multiple collision boxes)
- scrolling textures (works with only one texture per "scroller")
- tile based large sprites (ground in the video is a large sprite drawn with a smaller texture)

My stuff that doesn't quite work:
- platforming (what an irony :() - colliding with platforms, walking on them, scrolling world objects... I will need help with that in "For Beginners" subforum.
- realistic bouncing

My wishlist:
- skeletal animation
- moving platforms...

Sponsor:

#2 Anders2   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Wow, it's looking great! Keep it up!

#3 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

This is definitely a game I would play. I love 2D. That water effect at the bottom is genius. It's like 3D in 2D. I love the different choices in weapons. The cannon is my favorite lol.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

#4 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thank you guys for your positive comments :lol:

Here is one more cool video. I tried to implement skeletal animation few weeks ago. I doesn't look so bad, but I need to figure out how to make this code "reusable" so I can make enemies with it and add different animations and not just walking. Consider this 1% finished.

If anyone knows some internet site or something where I can find some help, please post it here.

2D Skeletal Animation - Test 1

#5 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Are the birds in the sky like angels of death? I couldn't really identify the monsters running around on the ground but they look like mutants. The big blue thing was a robot right? Lol the growling noises were.....I wanna say scary but I don't wanna sound like an absolute chicken (even though it's closer to the truth). Let's just say I wasn't expecting to hear it lol. The sound effects actually are pretty cool. The gunshot noises especially. I'd probably lose horribly in these games but it really looks like fun. You seem to need good reflexes lol. It kinda reminds me of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest from the NES with the monsters coming at you kinda quick. Probably why I fancy this game 'cause Simon's Quest is one of my favorite games to play.

Game Music Life

#6 Impervious   Members   -  Reputation: 493

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Wow man! Very well done! I know it is early on so the quick points I am going to make will likely be useless as you will probably change things soon... but the character himself really stands out as cartoony and fake relative to everything else, and some of the sound effects sound like they may get annoying after a long time--though I may be wrong. I wasn't annoyed by them for the duration of the video, but after awhile it may be a bit much.

I'm really liking the graphics of the environment and the enemies. Also, the weapon variation seems to be relatively balanced as they all fulfill different roles. Keep up the good work!

#7 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

:D You maybe didn't notice the name of the first video, enemies are from classic Serious Sam game. Those are Harpies, Kamikazes, Gnaars and Biomechs. I made my 2D enemy sprites using enemy models from that game. Most of the weapons and sounds are borrowed from that game too.

I am using what I can find, because this is made just too learn and I am not a 2D artist.

The player is just couple of squares for now, a test dummy, I thought it looks funny.

Posted Image

#8 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

:D You maybe didn't notice the name of the first video, enemies are from classic Serious Sam game. Those are Harpies, Kamikazes, Gnaars and Biomechs. I made my 2D enemy sprites using enemy models from that game. Most of the weapons and sounds are borrowed from that game too.

I am using what I can find, because this is made just too learn and I am not a 2D artist.

The player is just couple of squares for now, a test dummy, I thought it looks funny.

Posted Image

Ohhh ok. I see it now in the first post lol. Yeah, I feel you. You're just teaching yourself the ropes. I think that's kool.

Game Music Life

#9 touch_the_sky   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Haha, awesome;) Reminds me of times were games were about fun & gameplay rather than making sense, complex character development, etc.

#10 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

Haha, awesome;) Reminds me of times were games were about fun & gameplay rather than making sense, complex character development, etc.

Even if I wanted to, I don't have the knowledge to make it more complex :)

#11 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sick:

Posted Image

I finally made a class for a "skeletal enemy prototype".
They can just walk and hold a pistol for now (not shown in the gif). Ragdoll physics are way out of my reach for now :lol:

#12 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Daaaamn. And then the blood like splatters on the concrete wall. That shotgun is badass.

Game Music Life

#13 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

Daaaamn. And then the blood like splatters on the concrete wall. That shotgun is badass.

I'm glad you like it. Shotgun is my favorite weapon in games, so I will do what ever I can to make it even cooler :cool:

#14 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

You know I didn't think of it before but right there it reminds me of the Terminator 2 game on SNES. I think he had a shot gun like that but the effects weren't as realistic.

Game Music Life

#15 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Been working on some kind of level editor. It is not very good, but you can make levels with it, save them, edit ...
The "GUI" is DirectX based, made it myself. I don't know how stupid that is.

You can add entities, move them around, change some parameters. You can work with parallax scrolling on and off, set layers to be visible or not, collidable or not...
This is a very early stage, I hope it will get better one day.

The textures are just placeholders.

Posted Image

#16 HahaYouAint   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

If that's a different level, it looks pretty good to me. I like the way that there are trees behind the stone wall too. Makes it seem more realistic. What is that thing in the sky though?

Game Music Life

#17 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

If that's a different level, it looks pretty good to me. I like the way that there are trees behind the stone wall too. Makes it seem more realistic. What is that thing in the sky though?

Hi.This is the level from that Silentcraft Hill demo. I now store entities in several "layers" which enables parallax scrolling and better looking levels (best seen in the Bloodcrafter demo). Before it was just a background picture that was scrolling in the background.

The thing in the sky is a harpy I scaled and rotated to show that those "text boxes" on the left work ;)

#18 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I haven't made much progress gameplay vise, most of the updates since last videos were under the hood. One of the major changes is that my level editor is now really tile based. Here is a demonstration:

Posted Image

The player Super Mario/Serious Sam player is not an animated sprite anymore, it is skeletal animation.

#19 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

More than 90% of programers work is not visible to the end user...

A while back I decided I won't add any new features to my game and engine before the current state works properly.
The code was a mess, half of the stuff worked just on pictures, but in reality it was either bugged or half finished.

Things to do:
1. fix physics
2. make level editor user-friendly
3. figure out skeletal animation and animator
4. figure out how enemy spawners should work

Current state, April 1st 2012:

1. I tried fixing physics, but I failed. At least that part of the code is now clean, so it wont be a problem getting back to that.

2. Making editor user-friendly is best done if you try to make a map and then implement all the features that seem to be missing. Since I have no mapping skills and Super Mario Bros. maps are a too small challenge I decided to remake one map from another 2D sidescroller that is several times bigger than all my previous maps. The end result is a map(unfinished) of 1200 entities(not counting enemies,entity!=tile) and an editor with clean code and increased usability.

Major changes to the editor (February,March):

- I made a TextureManager which stores all the game textures and makes them all accessible via the editor. So, basically if you want to make a terrain out of players heads you can now do it.
- the textures are loaded from text files. Just put a path to whatever texture you can find in that text file, it will be loaded and you can make levels with it (texture can be a tilemap too)
- I found out that in Visual Studio windows and toolbars can autohide/autoshow when the cursor hovers over it. It saves space and reduces the number of "mouse presses" when working. I implemented that in my editor.

Posted Image
Autoshow/autohide feature and first layer of the map.

- changeable grid size
- selection box
- fixed almost everything editor related

3./4. Nothing yet...

When I finish all this I will release a playable tech-demo.

#20 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

Status report, May 1st 2012.

1./2. No updates...

3. Last month I worked on skeletal animation and my animation editor.

These are some updates:
- made possible to load/save animations in animation editor with user defined names
- made a skeleton class which can load information about entities skeleton and bones, store it and update entities bone positions(post above)
- made an animation class which loads, stores an animation and updates entities skeleton bones (rotation)
- applied all this to in-game skeletal entities (saved few hundred lines of code and made it easier to read)

It is far from being perfect, but it is good enough for now. There are a lot of things I still have to figure out how to do.

Here is an image of the animation editor. You can load some entities, load and save animations...
You can change bones rotation by entering a value in a text-box, or by selecting a bone and rotating it with a mouse.

Posted Image

4. Nothing yet...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS