• Create Account

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
320 replies to this topic

#1 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

Contest is over and judging has commenced!

Theme:
In the immortal words of MC Hammer, "U Can't Touch This". Take it literally, figuratively, or sideways :)

Rules
  • Theme is announced and the contest begins at noon CST, Friday the 13th.
  • The contest ends at noon CST, Monday the 16th.
  • Submissions platforms are open. I have a Win 7 laptop (with a discrete 3d graphics chipset), an Android phone, and an iPad, so my preference is that the game can run on at least one of them. The majority of judges are probably going to have Windows machines.
  • Contestants should post links to any runtimes or whatnot that judges need to download, preferably before the theme is announced. Most people have fast internet connections nowadays, but your game shouldn't require a 100MB+ SDK for judges to download to make your game run.
  • Other than the massive platform/SDK/whatever restriction, feel free to use whatever existing code, libraries, or tools you want. The point is to make a game!

Judging criteria
Points are evenly distributed between the bullets, so with a '10' being kick ass, each category gets up to 2.5 points.
  • First Time User Experience - How easy it is for the player to get rolling with your game. Covers installation and communication with the player on how to play the game.
  • Graphics & Audio - Pretty straight forward, do the visuals and sound contribute to or detract from the game?
  • Theme - How integral is the contest's theme with the game?
  • Fun Factor - Is it an enjoyable gaming experience?

Prizes:
  • $50 Amazon gift card
  • 2 x Humble Indie Bundle #1
  • €10 Amazon gift card

Submitted Games:
CamJackson's 'Ewe Can't Touch This' j0mich01's 'Bubble Time' ryan20fun's Game XXChester's 'Rob, The Dumb Ass Robber' AndyEsser's 'Bubblez' kiwibonga's 'Tunnel Jumper' Mussi's 'Hammertime' japro's Game
  • http://progsch.net/entry_japro.zip
Servant of the Lord's 'MC Hammer Toss' Muzz5's 'Airplane' slayemin's 'SUPERSTAR'
Judges:
  • zer0wolf
  • swiftcoder
  • MajorTom
  • Wan

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

Sponsor:

#2 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

I will have to check my calendar to see how busy I am next weekend but I might be in. Although all I have access to is are XP 32 and 64 bit machines.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#3 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Sounds interesting! If it's a go, I'll definitely make time for it. As far as platform goes, I would target Windows PCs.

Do you have a link to the previous challenge you mentioned in your journal post?

#4 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1249

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Could be fun, but I'm busy that weekend.

But yeah, I think we are overdue for another contest. Also, where did the links to the 4 Elements contest entries disappear to? I noticed they weren't there after the change in GDNet...

#5 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

It's Google CodeJam season...

#6 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

kiwibonga, I wish I had a link, but it was seriously like 3 years ago and was on the old forums. I'm not even sure how to find old posts like that.

GWDev has started up a conversation with me about some more prizes he is willing to kick in, more details to come :)

Didn't even realize that Google CodeJam was starting up. This is certainly a bit different sort of challenge, though!
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#7 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Found it: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/462106-labor-day-weekend-gamedev-contest---winners-announced/

Almost 4 years ago! :)

#8 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'd be up for a joining this. Not entered a competition like this, and my codebase is looking just about up to it.

I'd suggest a Windows platform - simply because it will open it up to more developers and players - although that still encompasses EXE, HTML, Java, etc - so the potential to run on other platforms is still available.

#9 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

The time for these is getting harder to come by for me, but if I can get at least 8 hours of dev time in those 3 days I'm in

#10 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

Reformatted the overview, added judging criteria, added current list of contestants, added current list of judges, and added more prizes (thanks GWDev!).

#11 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Plugged it on Reddit, hope you don't mind: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/h6w79/gamedevnet_community_challenge_72_h_compo_needs/

#12 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

What are the rules about previous code bases, engines, libraries etc?

#13 StudioFortress   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

I'll be entering. I've been working on a game platform for the last few months, so this is a chance for me to test it out.
StudioFortress.com - OpenGL games in your browser, Blog, Twitter.

#14 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

Someone on Reddit asked if teams could enter, what's the word on that?

Maybe we could promote somewhere else? Another forum here, or even on the main site?

#15 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

My schedule is pretty busy next weekend but I am in and will try to get something together. I too am curious about current code bases etc, like am I able to use the framework I have built from the ground up, or does it have to be all from scratch? Can we get more information on the restrictions please.

Thanks.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#16 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10444

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Would be nice to get contests back up and running on a regular basis!

I don't have nearly enough free time to enter such a short-form competition (can we do a month-long sometime?), but I would be up to volunteer for judging duties, if that is amenable? I have a Win7 gaming desktop, a MacBook Air and an iPhone/iPad available to run entries on.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#17 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Updated contestants, judges, and rules.

kiwibonga, I don't think we need to advertise anywhere else. I PMed Gaiiden about getting some sort of plug on the main site. The spirit of this is to be a Gamedev.net community challenge ;) I don't know how I feel about random teams entering and competing against individual community members, but I'm willing to see what everyone feels about it :)

#18 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Just to clarify, is it only individuals, or can teams join?

#19 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

Just to clarify, is it only individuals, or can teams join?

I'm leaning towards individuals, unless popular vote says otherwise.

#20 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

As I'll be on my own, I'm happy either way ;)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS