• Create Account

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
320 replies to this topic

#41 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1518

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

I'm in. I might be drunk Friday night, and I might have a date Saturday, but I think I can get something done.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Sponsor:

#42 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Theme is announced in approx 25 hours from now!

I'm eagerly awaiting!!

#43 CamJackson   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Damn, it'll be 3am Saturday in Melbourne when the contest starts!
My entry will be unity-based, so win/mac/web, can do any :D

#44 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Damn, it'll be 3am Saturday in Melbourne when the contest starts!
My entry will be unity-based, so win/mac/web, can do any :D

Yeah, that is why I'm announcing at noon my time and giving a full 72 hours instead of 48 to give people in other time zones at least two full days :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#45 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19579

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the theme. I haven't participated in a contest like this for awhile.
Just set up a generic project (empty window on screen), ready to go once the hour hits T minus zero. No going through the usual three hours of "Why is this empty project not compiling?" that my current setup usually requires. Posted Image

I do hope you chose a good theme. Posted Image

Other than the massive platform/SDK/whatever restriction, feel free to use whatever existing code, libraries, or tools you want. The point is to make a game!

What about resources (like images, music, sound effects, fonts)?
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#46 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

What about resources (like images, music, sound effects, fonts)?

Don't care :P Just make a fun game fitting the theme. Do make sure that you have the rights to redistribute any media assets you didn't author yourself, though.

Oh, and for the theme, I fully expect a lot of you to go 'WTF?!ARG!?'. It'll take effort to think of something cool. The last time I did this the theme was 'sticky', so don't expect something simple like bullet hell, bananas, or ninja monkeys. ;)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#47 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19579

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Oh, and for the theme, I fully expect a lot of you to go 'WTF?!ARG!?'. It'll take effort to think of something cool. The last time I did this the theme was 'sticky', so don't expect something simple like bullet hell, bananas, or ninja monkeys. ;)

I forfeit.

Kidding. Posted Image Bring on the mental gymnastics.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#48 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

Ninja monkeys would be awesome!!

#49 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1034

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:54 AM

what about existing code-basis :rolleyes:, library and such not existing game changed to theme ?
i'm up for a try, if i can get anything done in time <_<
but where will the contestants post there stuff ?
as im interested in the results, even if i dont participate
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#50 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

what about existing code-basis :rolleyes:, library and such not existing game changed to theme ?

This is covered in the first post, existing code base, libraries and assets are all good to use.

#51 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 898

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Ohhh the clock is ticking, can't wait to start. Since it appears my only windows option was windows 7 for a release platform I had to call around and enlist the help of my mothers laptop for the weekend...worked out because she is going away this weekend anyway...phew. I hope the theme is something I can work with, this is the first time I have participated in a Dev contest so I am very excited but nervous. It'll be a good learning experience and it will definitely bench mark where I am at with game development. Anyway I wont be posting again until I am done with the competition so best of luck to all other dev's and happy coding.

Thanks again for hosting this.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#52 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

Good luck all! Just over 5 hours till the Theme is announced.

#53 Muzz5   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

So what is the theme? Am I being really dense and have missed it?

#54 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

No, still about 30 minutes before the theme is announced!

#55 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

More like 50 minutes.

I'm sat here waiting now. I've got Food, Coffee, Whiskey, Coke, pad of paper, and Empty VS project and some tunes playing. Lets get it started!

#56 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Oh yeah, my bad... For some reason, I remembered that the theme would be announced 30 minutes before starting time... I don't know where I read that, cause it sure as hell isn't anywhere in this thread! Must be THE FEVER

#57 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Well guess I should fit in Season 1 Finale of Justified before the theme is announced.

#58 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1034

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

This is covered in the first post, existing code base, libraries and assets are all good to use.

i must have been :wacko: when i read the first post :lol:
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#59 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Not long...

(Not that I'm counting the minutes or anything...)

#60 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm totally not mashing Refresh every 5 seconds either.

(More like every 3 seconds)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS