• Create Account

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
320 replies to this topic

#81 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

I do, yeah. Hopefully I'm not the only judge with an Android phone! We need more judges ...
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

Sponsor:

#82 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Okay I lied I need a break from coding so I am going to post something before the end. I was making killer progress earlier in the day, got through 3/4 of phase 1 of my game with just collision detection and AI remaining...than I wasted 4 hours trying to generate the bounding boxes etc...use pixel perfect detection and what not and after all of that manually started writing the damn things haha. Needless to say, a huge waste of time. Here is a crappy screen of the start of my game...beware, MAJOR programmer art. I also think I may have bitten off more than I can chew but we will see.
Posted Image

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#83 CamJackson   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

Looks cool!
........ What is it?

#84 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

If I can get it done in time it is going to be a sort of cops and robbers game. Strategy puzzler.

**EDIT** And I Just realized the title on the window is wrong haha that was from another game I have that I stole the FPS counter from. The actual name is "Rob, The Dumb Ass Robber".

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#85 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

Here's Tunnel Jumper!
Posted Image

This is a TERRIBLE game! :P

#86 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

I had to call it quits last night at 2am. The theme was anounced at 6pm my time and I'd been at work since 8am so needed some sleep, but back on for a full day now.

I've attached my first screenshot - same one from the DevBlog in case you haven't siddled over there to read it.

Basically you play as a bubble that you can move around. And you have collect items, and bonuses, to complete the level(s). But you have avoid certain obstacles and enemies. If you touch any of them..you burst and die. And as an added twist, I've added wind to complicate things.

Posted Image

#87 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

man, i need to turbo charge my keyboard :P
im not as far as i haped to be <_<
but the posted stuff looks good :cool: keep up the good work
looks like there could be interesting games that could have a longer future then just this challenge
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#88 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:39 AM

New screenshot of my work today: I've got some enemy spawns working (Bee's and Leave's), need to work on Bonus spawns, and then the all important Collision detection. Even without the CD I'm finding it fun and challenging to avoid everything that's on the screen...which has made me think I might include a difficulty setting if I have the time.

Posted Image

#89 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

looks good

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#90 j0mich01   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

I had to call it quits last night at 2am. The theme was anounced at 6pm my time and I'd been at work since 8am so needed some sleep, but back on for a full day now.

I've attached my first screenshot - same one from the DevBlog in case you haven't siddled over there to read it.

Basically you play as a bubble that you can move around. And you have collect items, and bonuses, to complete the level(s). But you have avoid certain obstacles and enemies. If you touch any of them..you burst and die. And as an added twist, I've added wind to complicate things.

It looks good so far, my game is actually is pretty similar to yours in that it features a bubble avoiding getting touched by anything, but we do differ in art style and I plan on taking my gameplay in a slightly different direction, so I don't think our completed games will be very similar. I didn't do a whole lot of work yesterday, but this is what I currently have.

Posted Image

#91 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

spiky :D

#92 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2912

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm working on a game where you're a rock star and you have to run away from throngs of screaming girls (They will take whatever they can for a souvenir!)

Anyways, here's a screenshot of my earliest prototype:

Posted Image

The red circles represent girls. They're chasing the player (green circle) with some rudimentary chase AI and collision detection to prevent overlapping.
The player has a trail of stars behind him/her. (Demo of particle engine)
The green region is an arbitrarily drawn polygon shape to test collision detection.

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#93 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

Looks good.

I remember the days when girl's used to chase me and throw their thongs at me....

Wait, I'm 23...shit that must've been a movie I watched :(

#94 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21022

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

The hammer is the player, and he's trying to destroy the crystal. It's a top down scroller, where (eventually) enemies and obstacles will be defending the helpless fleeing crystal.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#95 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Cool stuff so far! Keep at it!

#96 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1634

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

I... haven't even started yet. Damn laundry.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#97 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

capn_midnight, burn the laundry!

How bad is everyone's code?

My TJLevel class, which loads levels, generates tiles and renders the world, also handles collision and input using an unnecessarily complex callback system. It takes about 12 virtual function calls to resolve a key press. Oh yeah, did I mention it's just one huge header file?

/* add key bindings */
		KeyBinding* press_up = new KeyBinding(	buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleUpKeyUp),
												buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleUpKeyDown) );
		press_up->attachTo(this);
		SceneManager::instance->addKeyBinding(SDLK_UP,press_up);

KeyBinding* press_down = new KeyBinding(	buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleDownKeyUp),
												buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleDownKeyDown) );
		press_down->attachTo(this);
		SceneManager::instance->addKeyBinding(SDLK_DOWN,press_down);

/* ... */

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleUpKeyUp);
	void commandAngleUpKeyUp()
	{
		up_pressed = false;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleUpKeyDown);
	void commandAngleUpKeyDown()
	{
		up_pressed = true;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleDownKeyUp);
	void commandAngleDownKeyUp()
	{
		down_pressed = false;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleDownKeyDown);
	void commandAngleDownKeyDown()
	{
		down_pressed = true;
	}

#98 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

capn_midnight, burn the laundry!

My TJLevel class, which loads levels, generates tiles and renders the world, also handles collision and input using an unnecessarily complex callback system. It takes about 12 virtual function calls to resolve a key press. Oh yeah, did I mention it's just one huge header file?

/* add key bindings */
		KeyBinding* press_up = new KeyBinding(	buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleUpKeyUp),
												buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleUpKeyDown) );
		press_up->attachTo(this);
		SceneManager::instance->addKeyBinding(SDLK_UP,press_up);

KeyBinding* press_down = new KeyBinding(	buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleDownKeyUp),
												buildCommand(this,&TJLevel::commandAngleDownKeyDown) );
		press_down->attachTo(this);
		SceneManager::instance->addKeyBinding(SDLK_DOWN,press_down);

/* ... */

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleUpKeyUp);
	void commandAngleUpKeyUp()
	{
		up_pressed = false;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleUpKeyDown);
	void commandAngleUpKeyDown()
	{
		up_pressed = true;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleDownKeyUp);
	void commandAngleDownKeyUp()
	{
		down_pressed = false;
	}

MAKE_MESSAGEABLE(commandAngleDownKeyDown);
	void commandAngleDownKeyDown()
	{
		down_pressed = true;
	}

Hey :o, why did you copy me ?, i did that first :D:lol::cool:
did too, did too, did too
good fun so far.
ive just got my animated sprite class to handle rotation.
but my collision detection so far is just a simple distace check.
now to work out how to get some AI(i'll accept someones elses reject AI at the moment, or is there a second hand AI depot around here ^_^:P:ph34r:) and to get rotation and some type of weapon working.
heres what i got so far, so move the round red thing and the cross heir is the mouse(will do something with that if i can) and the level is to be at least a small part random generated:

Attached Thumbnails

• so far.jpg

#99 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21022

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Bad. It's about as bad as the code I normally coded three years ago before I matured more as a programmer (when I read Code Complete).
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#100 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was concerned about poor code (we don't have to post the code listing along with our entry do we?). At the moment it's a single header and code file called main....

But at least I'm using 'const', so the Const Nazi can't come after me!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS