• Create Account

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
320 replies to this topic

#101 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

My codes actually not too bad (compared to my other projects) there were a couple things I short cutted on last night and they bit me in the ass HARD today so I went back and refactored them big time. I am not making a lot of progress today....struggled a lot with collision detection and now I have it working correctly, but my AI keeps getting stuck because it walks around the edge of a tile not the middle. Trying to work that out now...not sure how much of the desired AI I had originally planned is going to be in the final thing.

How am I along my time line? After last night I was making great progress....was a full 14hours in on the game...and after a full day of work too haha, damn i'm nuts. So far today...not so much, I was hoping to have most of the functionality in by tonight or early tomorrow and just focus on art and sound tommorrow and deployment on Monday. Time to get the knife out and start cutting nice to haves off the list.

How is everyone else doing?

Keep up the good work everyone.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

Sponsor:

#102 Gesar   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hello! New here, just saw a thread on reddit and the theme today seems like a good one. I'm wondering if it's too late to join? Even if I can't get a prize I would love some constructive criticism on a game. If you can, sign me up and I'll whip up something tomorrow.

Good luck with your games everyone!

#103 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hello! New here, just saw a thread on reddit and the theme today seems like a good one. I'm wondering if it's too late to join? Even if I can't get a prize I would love some constructive criticism on a game. If you can, sign me up and I'll whip up something tomorrow.

Good luck with your games everyone!

Of course it isn't too late, but the clock has been ticking for over 24 hours now. You better hurry ;)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#104 DeathRay2K   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

I've made a decent start on my game.
To get it done in time I've been really cutting corners in the code, and hoping I'm not going to have to deal with it later. :P Also trying to keep the gameplay simple enough that I don't have to do too much AI work.
invasionWIP1.png
I spent a whole bunch of time working on the enemy spawning system, so that it could get user-created enemies and make sure they aren't unbalanced for the player, and then ended up disabling most of it just to avoid dealing with any bugs that might come up from it. If I have enough time I'll put it back in, but right now I'm just happy to have swarms of enemies.
invasionWIP2.png

#105 CamJackson   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Beginning of Day 2 for me now. Got some GUI working last night, and also yesterday I enlisted the help of my girlfriend as an artist. She's much more competent than I am.

Posted Image

More info here :http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1134/entry-2250004-ewe-cant-touch-this-begin-day-2/

#106 MajorTom   Members   -  Reputation: 715

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys, I'll be judging the entries, I have an HTC Wildfire running android - fairly slow, and a PC that can run anything - including android apps.

The images posted so far look great, it'll be nice to see what everyone can make in the short time.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

#107 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

The sleep I'm disregarding even to compete is already showing through on my entry lol, it'll be a surprise for when I submit it

#108 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20990

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

Here's to hoping you win, eedok, if only for having such an obscurely cool name. (I was rereading Skylark of Valeron earlier today)
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#109 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

I've never heard of Skylark of Valeron prior to your post (my username is the phonetic spelling of my first name backwards)

#110 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20990

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

I've never heard of Skylark of Valeron prior to your post (my username is the phonetic spelling of my first name backwards)

Bah! For about three years now, I've been thinking your name was a reference to the infamous sci-fi author E.E. 'doc' Smith, commonly called 'E.E. Doc', who wrote a series of horrendously bad sci-fi novels that a whole generation of physicists grew up embarrassed to admit that they enjoyed (because the physics behind the plot are completely wrong, the plot is sub-par, and the characters are absurdly stereotypical, but still was enjoyable to read). He started writing during World War 1 and even slightly before. His novels are (supposedly) the first ever novel where a human actually travels outside of the earth in a space ship. He's so old and obscure, even Wikipedia doesn't have much info on him. Posted Image
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#111 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2101

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

So I have no chance of actually finishing my entry. I might still submit something but it's definitely not going to be a "game."
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#112 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2906

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

So I have no chance of actually finishing my entry. I might still submit something but it's definitely not going to be a "game."

I think half the challenge may be to just submit something that resembles a game. Forget about polish and fancy graphics, that takes tons of iteration and testing which == lots of spare time.

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#113 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20990

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

http://www.gamedev.net/gallery/image/779-screenshot-5/

#114 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2101

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

I think half the challenge may be to just submit something that resembles a game. Forget about polish and fancy graphics, that takes tons of iteration and testing which == lots of spare time.

My problem is that the only idea I have that isn't either extremely obvious or more or less being done already requires too much work to realistically become even a playable prototype. That and the fact that I haven't actually started yet. We'll see.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#115 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

Don't give up there is still a lot of time.

www.gwnp.ca

#116 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

Don't feel defeated! The point of this is to challenge yourself and make something playable :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#117 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

Guess I'll post a status update from my perspective befoer I head off to bed. My game is bare bones functional now with some major bugs in it. I had to cut a lot of the AI stuff I wanted to do which I may either try to tackle one or two tomorrow or I will implement mroe than 1 level sense once you figure out the couple of possible ways it is pretty easy to beat. I also just finished most of my emote system....I am sick so they sound terrible but I had a hell of good time doing the voice overing. Tomorrow I am hoping on the previously stated functionality, along with trying to replace my programmer art, fix said nasty bugs, and some polish. Than hopefully Monday I won't have any problems trying to deploy the game. I have never deployed an XNA game before and I have never used windows 7 so it should be interesting haha.

Anyway, everyones screen shots are looking great. Keep up the good work. Here's another screenshot that looks like the other one.
Posted Image

Looking forward to seeing everyones entries and trying them out.....I am assuming not only the judges will get access to them correct?
Until tomorrow everyone.

www.gwnp.ca

#118 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

I'm loving the fact that my Dev Journal hits have gone up about 3000 since Friday afternoon ;)

#119 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2906

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

I restructured the software architecture of my first iteration (probably unwise considering limited time frame). My code is now cleaner and relatively well organized, so adding new objects, features and behaviors should be like rubber stamping. Hopefully it'll pay off tomorrow :)

My levels are going to have be hard-coded. Ideally, I'd read in level data from an XML file, but writing the parser for that would be a waste of time in terms of cost vs. benefit ratio.

Anyways, after the restructuring, I'm able to scroll the world with player always in center of screen -- this lets my levels be larger than the screen dimensions :)

Here's a screenshot of my prototype so far (not much has changed visually). Once I've got the game play mechanics and AI nailed down, I'll focus on the art and extra stuff.

Posted Image

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#120 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

looks good ;)
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS