• Create Account

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
320 replies to this topic

#121 japro   Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Fist screenshot of the working "engine".

screenshot1.jpg

This is only a testlevel to test the "Plane switching". Gameplay is 2D but allows to switch between planes at crossroads (slightly FEZesque, without the impossible geometry) to give the world more dimension.

Edit: added some "art":
screenshot2.jpg

Sponsor:

#122 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21008

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Your character looks awesome. Posted Image
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#123 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

A little over 24 hours left! I'm seeing some pretty cool stuff here :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#124 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

I'm in circular dependency hell right now, and I don't know how I got there... Well, maybe it has to do with all those huge header files!

#125 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

I know what you mean I wasn't going to take on nice screen transitioning but I was having other problems that transitioning solves so I took it on and 4 hours later it is done but what a waste of time haha. Gah I hate transitioning code it is so complicated.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#126 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21008

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

I know what you mean I wasn't going to take on nice screen transitioning but I was having other problems that transitioning solves so I took it on and 4 hours later it is done but what a waste of time haha. Gah I hate transitioning code it is so complicated.

Ooch, yeah, transitions screens. I'm avoiding them as much as possible, because it'd complicate my code too much. I'm just going to fake it where I can, and not add any, where I can't. Posted Image

My levels transition from one level to another with no special effect. I just pause the camera from moving as the player continues to move forward off the edge of the screen, making it look like I spent time on it. Posted Image
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#127 Andrei Barsan   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm out of the competition. Sadly I don't have enough time to get the game finished, due to other problems, such as my exams which are getting closer. Oh well, maybe next time!
Anyway, the screenshots posted in this thread look really good! I can't wait to play the entries! :P (at least I have enough time for that, haha)

#128 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Holy crap! I got the project to link again! At least 8 hours wasted on this... I don't even know what caused it in the first place...

All right... Time for some serious sound/level/graphics/music/everything!

#129 j0mich01   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Wow Japro, thats impressive, I would have thought it would be impossible to have something that awesome (and complex) in such a short period of time. Keep the good work up everybody.

My game is called Bubble Time (could possibly change this) and is sort of a dual stick shooter type of game. It's mostly complete, I just need to add sound effects and some background music. From there I will just be polishing it and adding a couple more enemies.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#130 Gesar   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Everyone's games look great. Mine is going to be very short since I'm running low on time and I started late,
but you know it's business when you're fighting a huge banana.
Posted Image

#131 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

That banana seems very happy and angry at the same time!

#132 Gesar   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

That banana seems very happy and angry at the same time!

He's happy to eat your soul Posted Image

#133 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Haha that banana is awesome.

Update from me, I spent a lot of the day on polish sense the game is playable with a couple minor bugs (AI can walk through the wall sometimes when being chased..but your done for anyway because the AI runs faster than you, so its low on the list) and the other one is my bounding sphere is not computing correctly which I NEED to fix tonight. I also took the time and created a couple levels today...thankfully everything held together as designed and I can create, and map out all required identifiers in about 20minutes. So the rest of the night/competition depending on if I decide to sleep tonight/tomorrow morning, I will be fixing the bounding sphere problem, doing some more voice overing for the characters, and adding in sound effects. If all goes well I may come back to the list of scrapped features and try to take a couple on. I personally think my game is already quite fun.....and challenging in it's current state, but with the planned features I had thought of in the beginning it could be a lot better.

Anyone else track their time spent on their game? My last couple projects I started to, just to see roughly how long it takes me to write a game, so naturally I did it for this one as well. I must say looking at the numbers its pretty scary haha, it is already my biggest project and in the perspective of days it passed that mark in about a 10th of the time haha. Usually I build a 20-30hour game in 3 weeks working here and there. I broke 25 hours before even starting today...damn glad I took tomorrow off to sleep.

Anyway keep up the work everyone, the screen shots look great.

www.gwnp.ca

#134 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21008

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

10 hours left to go. Final stretch here, is anyone else awake? Posted Image

#135 kiwibonga   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

My entire body hurts!

#136 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2099

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

Been up for 34 hours now :blink:. Loving everyone's dedication and progress! I'll show my baby soon, no time to loose now :P.

#137 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 933

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

I am still awake but considering going to sleep for a few hours. I have all the deployment etc figured out so I don't have to worry about that tomorrow. I just figured out what is wrong with my AI but I am not really sure how to fix it so maybe a bit of sleep would be good. Basically the AI generates a new path as soon as it gets to its destination node, which causes it to walk 1 square off sometimes and through walls. I need to figure out a way to tell the AI it is not in the middle of the square and to keep the current node.

Anyway I think I will go get a couple hours of sleep and come back fresh and try to hammer it out before the dead line.

www.gwnp.ca

#138 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21008

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

I have virtually no content done. I have 6 hours left to create it all, so uh, here it goes. Posted Image
Instead, I spent the last three hours working on a big surprise for the player when he completes the (currently content-less) game. Posted Image

#139 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2911

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

Where & how do we submit our games for judging?

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#140 CamJackson   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

It's now Monday evening for me. About to have dinner, then I have until 3am to submit!
How is the submission done by the way? Do we just upload the files to a journal entry?
My latest screenshot:
Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS