• Create Account

What are you working on?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

#21 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1541

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

I'm actually not working on any games right now. My current project is a solar-powered water desalinization system. I have an idea for how to build paraboloid mirrors and sun-tracking systems very cheaply, so I will be trying it out pretty soon (i.e. as soon as I get my first pay check at my new job so I can buy supplies).

Cool! Besides that, are you still pushing the BAR thing?

Yeah, I'm still brewing, I'm still learning more about the food industry, I just can't do it until I have more funds and a proper partner. Turns out my friend who said he wanted to sell me his bar was full of shit. I knew he was lazy, but I didn't realize he just straight up bullshits all the time. Apparently, he had just been telling people he wanted to sell to drum up interest in the place. I don't really know why he thought attracting potential investors would attract new customers, but he's has a lot of strange ideas anyway. Anyway, at least I didn't learn the hard way that he'd make a bad business partner.

I'm trying to focus a lot more on small, obtainable projects these days. The solar-death-ray-cum-water-purifier is something were there are no original parts, just an original combination. I have a second project that is super-secret (I can say that it's a music toy, I'm trying to get this one patented), I have all the parts to build it, I've done some simple prototypes, I just need to put soldering iron to PCB. I recently posted about a Tetris game I wrote where two players competed against each other by arm wrestling, that was a fun build and a very good mix of 80% things I know and 20% new things to learn, instead of more like 50/50 on previous projects. Seems to be working out well.

Yeah. The initial investment is the hardest part of opening such a business. For the water purifier are you going to use one of these?

Something similar in concept, but probably not exactly that. I'm going to try a few things with cutting glass beer bottles to make high-temp adapters to silicone tubing. Cheap, downright scavenged from trash is the key here, because I'm conceiving of it as something that can be used in developing and disaster areas.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Sponsor:

#22 Zeraan   Members   -  Reputation: 317

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I'm working on a game that's similar to Master of Orion 1. Link is in my signature, but here's some screenshots (note, I don't have a professional artist, so my art is crap):

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 AnotherFalseProphet   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm working on a game that's similar to Master of Orion 1. Link is in my signature, but here's some screenshots (note, I don't have a professional artist, so my art is crap):

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks really good! I am going to have to give it a download soon!

#24 AnotherFalseProphet   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

I added some more stuff to my GUI library. I've learned some really neat tricks while making this. I'm not quite happy with the MessageBox yet.

Posted Image

#25 dublindan   Members   -  Reputation: 457

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

I am currently working on:

• MIDI Controller-related stuff (just finished a hardware project, moving on to some new and advanced firmware mods for the Midifighter).
  • 2D SciFi viking game, using a custom C++/Lua engine, using OpenGL 3 for graphics, Intel Threading Building Blocks for multicore, SDL 1.3 for windowing and input, GLM for math, Bullet for physics. Component entity system based. No audio yet.
  • Backend web development for money.
  • Tinkering with various bits and pieces: a Qt-based mini-dwarf-fortress type thing; programming language concepts; bitcoin related stuff...

Amount of time spent on each is roughly in the above order, from most time to least time.

#26 Eurotic   Members   -  Reputation: 99

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

I am currently working on a very interesting storyline..... That is all I can say for now! =D

#27 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

I'm building my hometown's church out of legobricks, the tower is done and it's about one meter high. I ran out of bricks and I'm waiting for the next ones I ordered. Don't have picture of it because my digicamera decided to take only totally black pictures for some reason.
Also I'm programming a minecraft stylish terrain with C++ for fun.
Posted Image
What the h*ll are you?

#28 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3586

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Working on a C64 game (more details in my journal). I'm currently on step 40 and I have no idea how many more are going to come.

supernatural_shot.png
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#29 AnotherFalseProphet   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Working on a C64 game (more details in my journal). I'm currently on step 40 and I have no idea how many more are going to come.

supernatural_shot.png

Very cool, have you made any progress on this?

#30 Mayple   Members   -  Reputation: 187

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:03 AM

Currently just got picked up on a project as a System Design Lead... though were still in concept :-)

I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

#31 Zethariel   Members   -  Reputation: 310

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

Doing way too many things at once O.o

SprintZ (as everyone/everything) -- working on coding (TPP "platrofmer")
Stormwave (as writer) -- writing branches from a seed story
Lyco Stories (as writer) -- waiting for my story to get coded by the programmist

And a few more. Plus full time job. I'm so socially dead T_T
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

#32 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3586

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:49 AM

supernatural_shot.png

Very cool, have you made any progress on this?

It's a ongoing work. I've had a very talented graphician make new sprites and charset and am currently putting the new stuff in.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#33 braindigitalis   Members   -  Reputation: 150

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

I am currently working on a casual puzzler based in a firework factory where crates have to be kept in motion on conveyor belts. Destroying the crates results in particle based explosions, the particles being destructive to other crates which can cause recursive mayhem.

I am currently hampered by my inability to find an artist or musican, though although the gameplay is practically complete...

Screenshots below.

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#34 nilkn   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

I had a few weeks off earlier this summer and, while looking for something to do, stumbled across the PlanetCute prototype art assets. I liked the look of them and was able to produce some nice-looking alternative versions with some fiddling, so I decided to take them and push them to their limit.

The result is a pretty cool terrain and map system that I really want to use to produce a high-quality game when I get the time next semester. The terrain is randomly generated, and the generation algorithms are exposed in Ruby scripts, so the end-user has total control over how the terrain is produced. It features a generation pipeline where the terrain dataset is operated on by a sequence of operators, each implemented in a Ruby script. The current algorithms are fairly innovative: noise comes from a randomized plasma fractal; mountainous and flat regions are produced using a Voronoi tesselation; and water and sediment are propagated using a cellular automaton simulating thermal erosion.

What you can't see in the pictures below is that the terrain has over 15 million blocks, the trees sway in the wind and their leaves rustle, the grass waves in the wind, and the water is fully animated using a neat effect that I've never seen before where the individual blocks move up and down to produce actual physical waves. There's some basic and high-performance shadowing going on as well, and leaves blow off of trees and pass over the terrain in the wind. A feature that is partially implemented and is not shown here is sheets of rain simulated with basic fluid dynamics rushing across the screen and whipping around trees.

As for what I'm actually working on right now, I'm doing research in mathematics involving transferring de Rham cohomology and basic Hodge theory to fractals like the Sierpinski gasket which lack a manifold structure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Posted Image
Heres a game I started last week, Its practically finished now. Just need to do the finishing touches & expand on things eg more levels & play test.
Im itching to start on my next game. Gonna be an arcade game like rubiks cube but the aim is to make the cube disappear (actually theres not much in common with rubicks cube, hmmm)

#36 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 15832

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

Me?

Oh, nothing.

#37 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2912

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Me?

Oh, nothing.

What a coincidence! :cool:

In my spare time:
SlimDX v2
Mono x86 Runtime
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

#38 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 604

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Me?

Oh, nothing.

oooh.... how quaint.... lol

#39 O-san   Members   -  Reputation: 1721

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

Nice work Endurion! :-)

I'm working on an isometric medieval game called Medieval Story, solo project.

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 604

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Nice work Endurion! :-)

I'm working on an isometric medieval game called Medieval Story, solo project.

Posted Image

wow that looks awesome, can i play it?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS