• Create Account

Puzzle Moppet

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 xDan   Members   -  Reputation: 193

1Likes

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

This is my puzzle game I've been working on altogether too long... Push boxes in a similar vein to Sokoban but in 3D, and help the Moppet find its way home.
It's an attempt at shareware/commercial and I'm almost ready for the "final" release :mellow:

Features you see in this image:
- hemisphere lighting
- bloooom
- some kind of brightness effect when you look into the sun..

It's probably not all that noticeable, but Shadow of the Colossus / Ico were inspirations for the graphical style.

What lessons did I learn?
- That the remaining 10% counts for 90% of the development time (or in my case more like 200%), EVEN when you think you are being clever and have correctly predicted how long the project will take.
- That a full 3D game was probably not a good idea for a first "indie" attempt... everything just takes so much longer than 2D.
- That it would be wise in the future to make a simple framework for common GUI / user interface things (like options menu etc)... as those things are so boring to make.

Website and demo here: http://garnetgames.com/puzzlemoppet/
(for Windows and Linux)

Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

#2 yckx   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1264

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

I never played Shadow of the Colossus, but when playing the demo I could see the Ico influence. I like it, although I'd prefer to be able to adjust the resolution. Also, when alt-tabbing out, my desktop kept the game's resolution, so it was somewhat of an annoyance to navigate in Windows and do what I wanted to do before alt-tabbing back in.

#3 Racoonacoon   Members   -  Reputation: 443

0Likes

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

I played the game on my linux box. For some reason it didn't init into fullscreen properly. The game only took up about 3/4 of the horizontal dimension of the window (vertical was fully taken up.) The game was fully playable like this, it was just a bit odd. Everything worked fine when I switched to windowed mode. The game is pretty fun! The wind sound quickly got annoying though. At least you gave us the option to turn it off! The game could really use some more musical atmosphere though, it just feels a bit too empty, even with 'speedcore' mode turned on. Have you considered =Calming"]Kevin MacLeod? He has a bunch of Creative Commons music out there for people to use. Best of luck!

#4 xDan   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for comments :)

Yeah, that Linux bug... is known. It's something to do with how the Irrlicht engine handles X11 I think, but I've been unable to find the precise cause. It often seems to occur randomly and is hard to reproduce.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS