• Create Account

Can i handle it

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 vfx   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

So i am expert in 3d computer graphics including animation who wants to make games for mobile devices - iphone and android smartphones. I have no clue about programming and game development programming. My question are two - can i make a game without any previous programming expirience , i mean by looking and learning in internet (i mean looking and in the same time making - because i haven't the time first to learn programming and than to make the game) , by buying something easy (like tutorials) that will help me to make 3d rpg for smartphones. And the second question is(if the answer of the first is yes ) how much time approximately would take me to make such game alone if the graphic part is already done ? Thank you

Sponsor:

#2 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 695

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

So i am expert in 3d computer graphics including animation who wants to make games for mobile devices - iphone and android smartphones. I have no clue about programming and game development programming. My question are two - can i make a game without any previous programming expirience , i mean by looking and learning in internet (i mean looking and in the same time making - because i haven't the time first to learn programming and than to make the game) , by buying something easy (like tutorials) that will help me to make 3d rpg for smartphones. And the second question is(if the answer of the first is yes ) how much time approximately would take me to make such game alone if the graphic part is already done ? Thank you

i dont mean to "pop" your bubble. but from my own experiance it will take you a few months to learn to programe a game and learn a language at the same time unless you are a quick learner and you use something like XNA is(most of the actual device work and graphics device is done for you so you dont have to learn how to appriprietly create a device for a given system).
but it should not be too hard to do, but i may be wrong. try looking for a Iphone / Android / Smartphone Game Engine that way most of the hard labourus work is done for you.
:) :) :)
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#3 vfx   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

i dont mean to "pop" your bubble. but from my own experiance it will take you a few months to learn to programe a game and learn a language at the same time unless you are a quick learner and you use something like XNA is(most of the actual device work and graphics device is done for you so you dont have to learn how to appriprietly create a device for a given system).
but it should not be too hard to do, but i may be wrong. try looking for a Iphone / Android / Smartphone Game Engine that way most of the hard labourus work is done for you.
:) :) :)

You don't poped my bubble - you try to put me in such one :P So where should i start c++ , java and wich particular book (keep in mind i want to make games for smartphones i prefer Android devices ) ?

#4 iMalc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2299

1Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

If you're already worried about the time it will take then you're most likely not going to succeed with your plans.
There is no quick way to get the level of experience needed to create what you want to create.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

#5 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 443

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Can you make a game without any previous game programming experience? Yes.

Will you have to learn about programming on the way? Yes.

Is it a good idea to start programming by programming games? Maybe but probably not.

You can either spend a few months learning to program and learning how to program games, or use an engine/game maker utility instead. You'll still have to learn some scripting, but your learning curve will be much shorter. The choice is yours, just have fun whatever you do.

My advice would be, what do you WANT to do? Do you want to learn how to program? Or do you just want a game done with your artwork. If the latter, just use one of the many game making utilities out there (like GameMaker). If the former, have fun learning how to program and enjoy the ride.

#6 vfx   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Can you make a game without any previous game programming experience? Yes.

Will you have to learn about programming on the way? Yes.

Is it a good idea to start programming by programming games? Maybe but probably not.

You can either spend a few months learning to program and learning how to program games, or use an engine/game maker utility instead. You'll still have to learn some scripting, but your learning curve will be much shorter. The choice is yours, just have fun whatever you do.

My advice would be, what do you WANT to do? Do you want to learn how to program? Or do you just want a game done with your artwork. If the latter, just use one of the many game making utilities out there (like GameMaker). If the former, have fun learning how to program and enjoy the ride.

i
I think i was clear in the first post but i would make it more clear - If i could skip the programming part - i would do it immediately. Do these game making utilities give me the freedom to import my own graphic assets , animations and effects and in the same time to do watever i want to do in the game. Or they are limited in any of these aspects ?

#7 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 443

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

i
I think i was clear in the first post but i would make it more clear - If i could skip the programming part - i would do it immediately. Do these game making utilities give me the freedom to import my own graphic assets , animations and effects and in the same time to do watever i want to do in the game. Or they are limited in any of these aspects ?

They are only limited by the amount of time you want to spend scripting or altering engine code. Also, some engines are better designed for certain types of games then others (eg FPS games for Unity). Gamemaker, Torque, and Unity are all really solid engines. Gamemaker probably being the easiest to use without any programming knowledge. There are also some others out there, you should spend some time googling and reading tutorials to see where you fit in.

Without doing ANY scripting, your limited to building games off templates and just changing the art.

#8 justdanyul   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just out of curiosity. If you are a expert 3D modeller/animator, why not stick to where your expertise lies?

Your post reads a bit like this: You have zero programming experience and are in a rush to read though a book or a couple of tutorials off the internet to enable you to create a game. Graphics programming is hard, and is both seriously CS and Math intensive. You need to have a steady hand doing both before you can hope to create anything decent(and it sounds like you have big plans about 3d rpgs and god knows what).. And I'm not even going to mention the physic aspect.

Any ways, others have already pointed out this is a massive massive undertaking to master.

Here's my tip for you though. You kick bum in 3D studio (or whatever app), here's a dirty little secret. Most programmers dont.

Team up with people who has similar goals.

#9 JBourrie   Members   -  Reputation: 1203

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Just out of curiosity. If you are a expert 3D modeller/animator, why not stick to where your expertise lies?

What's wrong with looking to expand your skill set?

@OP
It will take you a long time. Years, before you're good enough to make something commercial. If you're willing to accept this, you should look at a smartphone-capable engine (Unity3D or Torque Game Builder would be your best bets). Torque is cheap, but AFAIK you have to pay up-front before you can use a full version and it's not Android compatible. Unity is free so you could learn it first before paying any money, but it's more expensive once you buy the Pro version + iPhone + Android licenses.

Don't rush it: you will not be making Infinity Blade in three months, no matter what you do. Just take your time, learn, and enjoy!

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

#10 justdanyul   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

What's wrong with looking to expand your skill set?

Nothing at all. OP just seems to be in a rush to create what sounds to me like a rather complex game. And it sounds like he already have the skills to be able to be part of a team effort. Rather than spending X amount of years expanding his skill-set to a level that will enable him to build a 3D RPG game all by him self.

#11 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 695

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

i found this on makeing a game for android.
but i dont know why it took so long to find it.
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#12 Farraj   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Look, when you want to handle the programming part, you got 2 options:

1- Learn to program
2- Get a program (make a team)

The second option is recommended. Not because it's the easiest, but because if you actually learned how to program you will notice that the amount of effort needed to do the full art for a game is almost the same effort needed to program a game. It would be better to get someone to take care of the programming part while you handle the art side. And no, just because you finished the art side doesn't mean you're done. The program side will demand more work from you to make your art 'fit' into the game properly.

I wouldn't go with the first option. It's not because learning to program is hard. Actually, it’s really easy; you can pick it up in a week or 2. The problem is that you will need a long time (with practice and actually trying to make games) before you're good enough to program a game.

Just like your art skills. I'm sure that you warped your head around graphics very quickly, but how long and how much effort did it take before you were GOOD ENOUGH to make the art you made now?

Even if you are using game makers or engines, it won't change anything. It will still take you a long time before you get really good to make games with them.

At the end it's your call. You sounded like you wanted to start as soon as possible so I would recommend finding a programming partner who is willing to help and take care of the programming side (plus all the tech stuff).

As for how long it would take, I can't really answer that. If you already got the art and design down, a programmer can get you a working beta version in less than a month. But it could take longer.

Hope this helps :)

#13 JBourrie   Members   -  Reputation: 1203

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

As for how long it would take, I can't really answer that. If you already got the art and design down, a programmer can get you a working beta version in less than a month. But it could take longer.

I'm quoting this, not to argue with you, but because I think it might give him the wrong impression.

"How long it will take" is relative to the scope of your game. Obviously, Farraj has a very small-scoped game in mind when he says "less than a month". If you mean "basic 3D RPG with 80's-style mechanics" you might get something this quickly (with a good, focused, motivated programmer). If you're talking a Fable or a Final Fantasy or an Oblivion, you're talking months, if not years, before it's actually to any level of quality if you're doing it alone or with a tiny 2-man team. Most commercial games are built by teams of 5-50 people, with RPGs tending to surpass 100-man team sizes.

I'm not saying "it's impossible", I'm saying "planning will make the difference between success and utter failure". Know what you're getting into: if you want to build an RPG of any level of quality, you really can't rush it.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS