• Create Account

What is a vertex buffer input slot in DX 11?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 DementedCarrot   Members   -  Reputation: 434

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

DirectX 11 has vertex buffer slots that you specify [0-15] when you bind vertex buffers to the context/device. I'm really not sure how they're used beyond actually setting them as none of the draw calls have slot numbers tied to them. I just don't know where they factor in.

How do you make use of buffers in different slots?

Pre-emptive thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2278

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi,
for example, you could use multiple vertex buffers for:

- geometry instancing. Ie. having your 3d model bound to stream 0 and your instancing data (matrices etc) to stream 1
- having set of attributes in the second vertex buffer, which may or may not be needed for rendering a specific 3d-model.

I have used multiple VBs mostly for geometry instancing.

Cheers!

#3 DementedCarrot   Members   -  Reputation: 434

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

How and where do you actually make use of the others though? You have to specify somewhere that you're using one of the other slots and I'm not sure where that happens. :P

Does it happen in the shader or the c++ code? Brief examples would be great, heh.

Edit: Solved! I didn't notice that the slots of the objects used by the shader were specified in the Input Layout. Right-on.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS