• Create Account

Should I take physics class before using the Havok physics engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 tapir   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

It requires knowledge of physics to develop a physics engine, but do I need to learn physics to use a pre exsisting engine?

Sponsor:

#2 Palidine   Members   -  Reputation: 1279

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

It requires knowledge of physics to develop a physics engine, but do I need to learn physics to use a pre exsisting engine?

You should definitely understand basic Newtonian Kinematics and Linear Algebra, yes. Physics engines provide an API that allows you to control things on the levels of: force, acceleration, velocity, position, inertia, mass,etc. If you don't know your way around basic physics it's still going to be very challenging to use the physics engine. There are tutorials though, so it really depends on what you want to do. Your life as a game developer will certainly be infinitely easier the more math and physics you know.

-me

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS