• Create Account

[Box2D]Problem with joints - simple moving

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 furrymaster   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi, I`m writting because i have problem with using joints in Box2D. I`m trying to create simple moving system for my units but i cannot find out how to move units with this and this speed. I was trying to use linear Velocity but i have to control when units are on place in which i want them. I`ve tried joints but they are working like a... gum? U know, at start they move slow but if they are closer to target position my unit moves faster.
Can u give me an advice how to use joints to have an effect like i want? (i was looking for good tutorial about this but all are with jumping boxes, moving them with mouse or car with wheels:( )
If I helped you rate me

Sponsor:

#2 SriLumpa   Members   -  Reputation: 198

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Try to search for "kinematic" bodies. The documentation advises to move the by setting their velocity, but that's not very hard to adapt to follow a position path.

#3 furrymaster   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

But when i setting their velocity i`ll have to control when to stop them because this is force vector, so when they reach my target they will still keep moving.
If I helped you rate me

#4 SriLumpa   Members   -  Reputation: 198

1Likes

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

It is not a "force vector", just the velocity. But like a manual force, you have to recalculate the value at each step. So for example when the target is reached, you just set the velocity to 0.

#5 furrymaster   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

thank you i ll try to use it.

Edit:
kinematics are bad idea because i need colisions, sometimes joints etc.
And still i dont know WHEN to stop moving object.
If i do sth like this:
Vector_2D range=pos - target;
range=range*range;
if(range.x+range.y < 10)
   stop();
my body can still keep moving if it colide with something in its way.
If I helped you rate me

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS