• Create Account

Simply2D - a platform game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 912

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

After working on it since about christmas last year I can finally call it finised!
Simply2D is a mario-like platform game where you complete maps and progress through a (short) campaign where you unluck new maps. It currently has 11 different types
of objects which are:

• Platforms
  • Moving Platforms
  • Enemies
  • Turrets
  • Teleports
  • Trampolines
  • Spikes
  • Walljumps
  • Buttons
  • Gates
  • Gun powerups
What I've spent a lot of time on is the level editor. You can build your own maps and play them immediately. The editor has a inspector gui where you can change the values of the selected object. The gui consists of different types of window controls, which I've done myself by building an own window handler. I don't know what else I can say other than you should try it out and tell me what you think :)

It's written in C++ and uses DirectX for graphics and IrrKlang for sound.

The game can be downloaded from here.

Please visit my website and take a look around. I've writtin more about the game there as well.

I would really appreciate if you test the game and leave a comment about what you thought or if you discovered a bug or similar. Feedback is very very welcome Posted Image

Here's some screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for your time,
simpler

Sponsor:

#2 RedPin   Banned   -  Reputation: 36

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Dude I like the giant godzilla, it makes the pic.
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)

#3 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 912

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:16 AM

Yeah I thought the background image was pretty awsome :)

#4 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 165

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

The game doesn't work for me. I installed the redistributables and DX stuff but it didn't help. The music is playing but I get this screen:

Posted Image

#5 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 912

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

That's really weird. I have no idea why it looks like that for you Posted Image

#6 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 165

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hi again !

I managed to get the game working on another computer, don't know why doesn't it work on this one. When I saw Super Mario and the editor I realized that we are basically working on a same thing. I am also using DX9 and C++, even though I am modifying an existing engine.

I made a Mario style game/level few months ago: Super Serious Bros. but I didn't have an editor then. It was all "hardcoded".

I recently started making an editor, it has just some buttons, but I can add enemies and platforms. And I store and read level data from a text file :unsure:, how do you do it ?

I had some issues with double jumping, it is like I can double jump only one per level/life. It took me some time to get to the pistol without double jump.
Also when I went to credits and pressed escape the game would crash.

BTW, how do you think to cross this ?

Posted Image

#7 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 617

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi.
when i opend it i could only see a portion of the window (half of it must be off screen)
can you add an option to manueally set PosX and PosY of window ?
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#8 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 912

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi again !

I managed to get the game working on another computer, don't know why doesn't it work on this one. When I saw Super Mario and the editor I realized that we are basically working on a same thing. I am also using DX9 and C++, even though I am modifying an existing engine.

I made a Mario style game/level few months ago: Super Serious Bros. but I didn't have an editor then. It was all "hardcoded".

Your game looks cool, I like the gore effects with all the body parts flying around ;) Was that a part of the engine you used or did you do that yourself, and what engine was it?

I recently started making an editor, it has just some buttons, but I can add enemies and platforms. And I store and read level data from a text file :unsure:, how do you do it ?

I also store the levels in a textfiles. You can look in the folder levels\ to see how. Each line in the level files basicly is the data for one object. The first value is the type of the object and then comes X, Y width, height etc... Once loading the level is just read the type of the object first and then call that objects loadFromFile() function.

I had some issues with double jumping, it is like I can double jump only one per level/life. It took me some time to get to the pistol without double jump.
Also when I went to credits and pressed escape the game would crash.

BTW, how do you think to cross this ?

You aren't suppose to double jump, but if you mean the walljumping then that's weird because it works good for me. Will take a closer look at it any ways Posted Image

Oh I forgot to fix that turret, should've played through each level before releasing it..

Hi.
when i opend it i could only see a portion of the window (half of it must be off screen)

You can move the window around but I should add an option to choose the width and height of the window.

Thanks for testing and leaving your comments, it's worth a lot!

#9 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 617

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

Hi.

You can move the window around but I should add an option to choose the width and height of the window.

Thanks for testing and leaving your comments, it's worth a lot!

the half that was missing was the half that had the title bar and the left half of the game window :cool:
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#10 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 912

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

the half that was missing was the half that had the title bar and the left half of the game window :cool:

Oh I understand, I believe I have a fixed position for the window.. Will have to make it allways get centered Posted Image

#11 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 165

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

Your game looks cool, I like the gore effects with all the body parts flying around ;) Was that a part of the engine you used or did you do that yourself, and what engine was it?

Thanks. I am using Advanced2D engine by J.S.Harbour. Originaly it handled input, sound , rendering, font,entity management and collision detection but I modified almost all of that to fit my needs. And I also added some new stuff like pixel shaders, scrolling, skeletal animation... It is all WIP, but it doesn't look bad.

I also store the levels in a textfiles. You can look in the folder levels\ to see how. Each line in the level files basicly is the data for one object. The first value is the type of the object and then comes X, Y width, height etc... Once loading the level is just read the type of the object first and then call that objects loadFromFile() function.

That is basically the same way I do it.

You aren't suppose to double jump, but if you mean the walljumping then that's weird because it works good for me. Will take a closer look at it any ways Posted Image
Oh I forgot to fix that turret, should've played through each level before releasing it..

Haha, I thought that I should be able to double jump and that wall jumping is a bug.

BTW, you set the default resolution to 1440x900, which is too big. I am using a smaller screen resolution on my monitor so the window couldn't fit the screen. I had to increase the resolution of the monitor to fit.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS