• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

C++ Graphics Programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 anonymous22   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

EDIT: I have done some research and chose SFDL as my library.

Hello to all,
I would like to ask a few simple questions in hope to get straight answers.
  • I want to develop on Windows using OpenGL + C++. Should I use an engine that does the Win32 calls for me to create the window for me (like GLUT, GLFW, SDL, and others...) or should I do them myself?
  • If the answer to 1 is using an engine, than what is the best, AAA game engine out there that allows full control? If not then see 3.
  • If the answer to 1 is doing it myself, then I can't seem to find good enough documentation on how to initialize a simple Win32 window, even on MSDN, so I'm having a tough time.
Thanks in advance,
David D.

Edited by wiz3kid, 04 June 2011 - 08:55 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Monkan   Members   -  Reputation: 742

1Likes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

I would highly recommend GLFW, I just started using it recently having used GLUT all the time before and I really like it. It leaves your code clean and leaves you in control.
I only used GLUT before because that is what I was taught but now I realise it is outdated and a bit rubbish.
"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

#3 scgames   Members   -  Reputation: 2026

0Likes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

...SFDL...

Hehe...is that what you get when you combine SDL, SFML, and GLFW? ;) (j/k)

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6705

1Likes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

EDIT: I have done some research and chose SFDL as my library.

Hello to all,
I would like to ask a few simple questions in hope to get straight answers.

• I want to develop on Windows using OpenGL + C++. Should I use an engine that does the Win32 calls for me to create the window for me (like GLUT, GLFW, SDL, and others...) or should I do them myself?
  • If the answer to 1 is using an engine, than what is the best, AAA game engine out there that allows full control? If not then see 3.
  • If the answer to 1 is doing it myself, then I can't seem to find good enough documentation on how to initialize a simple Win32 window, even on MSDN, so I'm having a tough time.
Thanks in advance,
David D.

Neither of the libraries you listed are game engines, they're just fairly basic frameworks to abstract away some platform specific details, you don't really lose control of anything important by using an up to date framework. (SDL 1.3 or SFML are good choices in general)

Using a Game Engine is a better option if your goal is to make a game but will cause you to lose some control, AAA game engines come with AAA price tags (Which can be as high as a few hundred thousand dollars for a license), the closest you'll get here is probably UDK (Which is effectivly a restricted version of Unreal Engine 3 targeted at hobbyists and small indie studios) or Unity. (Neither of those allow you to code in C++ though (Unity Pro allows C++ plugins, the free version doesn't)).

as for 3. don't bother doing it yourself, Win32 is an ancient and awful API and if you ever intend to port your code to for example Linux you have to take that ancient and awful win32 code and port it to equally ancient and awful X11 code. (I don't know how bad Apples APIs are), the only reason Win32 still exists is because changing it would effectivly break compatibility with old software, Microsoft has provided .Net as a modern replacement for windows UI development.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS