• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Player hosted client/server game and cheating

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Butabee   Members   -  Reputation: 274

1Likes

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:14 AM

I'm working on a small scale multiplayer game with maybe 8-64 players supported per server but I was wondering if I could get some help thinking of what kind of gameplay I can implement where cheating can be mostly mitigated.

I know the player hosting the game can pretty much cheat anyway they want but I want to prevent the other clients from cheating as much as possible. Especially when it comes to interaction between players.

I want to have some form of progression but I don't think I can have anything where players can affect others with their stats or items since those things will be stored client side.

I was thinking I could have levels, but a player could hack their client to say they are max level which I guess isn't that big of a deal.

IDK, maybe someone can help me think of ways to do this.

Sponsor:

#2 Lesan   Members   -  Reputation: 435

0Likes

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

You can have all the game actions verified by the host.

For example, if you were creating a card game, the client, when its player click a card, would only send a request to the server saying "I want to play this card." The server/host would first verify that it is a legal action, then execute it and send the gameplay results back to the client. This way, if the client attempts to do something impossible, the server will reject the request and cheating will be prevented.

However, you must assume that all information sent to the client will be available to the player. So, if you were doing an FPS shooter for example, if you send the locations of all players to each client, then the player will be able to cheat using aimbots.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS