• Create Account

Space Invaders for TI

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 onpon4   Members   -  Reputation: 296

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:37 AM

This was a little project I did during my last few weeks of school: a Space Invaders game for the TI-8x (TI-83+/TI-84+) series of calculators, though mostly for the TI-84 Plus series. It can be found here:

http://onpon.weebly.com/4/post/2011/05/space-invaders-for-ti.html

I am quite sure that there are already Space Invaders games available for TI calculators, but all of them (at least, that I saw) are written in assembly. This one is written in TI-BASIC (as it's colloquially called). As you might be able to understand, getting such a complicated game as Space Invaders to work in such a slow environment and end up with a game that's fun to play is difficult.

The end result is fast enough (though a bit slow), fairly fun, and extremely difficult. The high difficulty was on purpose and the most recent change. It was because I found that the high score list seemed completely meaningless; clearing the aliens once was just too easy. In the most recent update, the aliens move faster downward, so clearing them once is difficult; you can't win a round if you miss more than a few shots.

There are some simplifications I had to make:
  • There are only two rows of aliens (12 in total).
  • No shields
  • The aliens are treated as a single object, which means the aliens don't move all the way to the edge of the screen unless they were edge aliens to begin with (it's hard to explain; play it and you'll see what I mean)
  • The player is represented by an "A", and the aliens are represented as "M"s. Less noticeably, bullets are colons (":").

Do let me know what you think! :)
Onpon's Shelf: https://onpon4.github.io

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS