The professional vs The ambitious

Started by
9 comments, last by Khaiy 12 years, 10 months ago
I just have this feeling that professionals have the certifications, degrees, maybe a union or too, or a guild to base their professionalism out of. I have nothing. NOTHING. *takes a sip of fruit juice* My professionalism was stripped from me because of the new trends of Information Technology against this new MIS/Administration degree and the Computer forensic science degrees. A was just a IT person with no professional background. I grew with the corporation that I learned from. So I think some security guard had a Computer Forensic degree and was snooping all over the IT department for evidence of computer hacking. Of course, operations through virtual machines are good security breach flags so someone tried to underhand me in the office. I just walked off the property and quit 3 years ago and I am still hurting with the rest in the nonprofessional computer industry. I should have carried bought a 12 pack of Coors(TM) and poured it all over my cloths as I left. Who knows what really happened but there is always a struggle for the learner and the qualifier and it can get violent.
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3
Advertisement
Professionalism has nothing to do with certifications, degrees, or whatever else. It's an attitude.

I'm a professional game developer, and I have no certifications, no degrees, no union membership, nothing of the kind.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you have experience getting certifications should be easy. Some schools would probably even give you credit for your large amount of work experience making a degree reasonable to come by.
What? Are you drunk?

Professionalism has nothing to do with certifications, degrees, or whatever else. It's an attitude.

I'm a professional game developer, and I have no certifications, no degrees, no union membership, nothing of the kind.

QFT. You can have all the certificates in the world and still not be a professional. Being a professional is about having a work ethic, respecting the fact that someone is willing to trade money for your skillset and always doing your best to achieve a good outcome for your employer. Not you, the guy who pays the bills.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
I am not quite sure what you are saying. Do you mean that you were up to something, got caught and left before they could fire you and now they keep providing a bad reference? Sorry if i read it wrong but that's how it comes across ? People don't just target you with false accusations for no reason in my experience...
I'd start with English classes before you go for the IT certifications. I have no idea what you are trying to say....

[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1307923892' post='4822551']

QFT. You can have all the certificates in the world and still not be a professional. Being a professional is about having a work ethic, respecting the fact that someone is willing to trade money for your skillset and always doing your best to achieve a good outcome for your employer. Not you, the guy who pays the bills.
[/quote]
This. I remember my first programming job, before I had any degree (not even high school). My boss explained to me that he viewed me as a professional, and a certain coworker as a "talented amateur." Being professional is about working hard, producing quality output, and playing nicely with others.

What? Are you drunk?

I am equally confused.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

What? Are you drunk?

This was my thought as well.
Always strive to be better than yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement