• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Kid's Game, Ideas/Suggestions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Kid's Game, Ideas/Suggestions (3 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think Kids would like more?

1. Sphere-like Characters (3 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Humanoid Characters (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 550

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

Well, I am in production of a kid's game, and right now i'm bouncing ideas while programming...now I'm at the point where i have to stop bouncing ideas, find the best one and stick with it!
so now it comes down to a few choices, two actually.
Choice one: Characters are "super deformed" humans (I hope you all know what I mean, but JUST in case: Small bodies, Big heads, Big eyes) The game play elements are geared towards socializing, exploring, and finding cool stuff, or perhaps even making cool stuff.
Choice two: Characters are sphere-like, with ears or what not to indicate what "type" they are, same game play elements as choice two, but more aimed towards the exploring side then socializing.

so the actual dilemma: I KNOW I can do choice two, but I think kids would rather be a humanoid character, rather then a "sphereoid" character. So, should I try to make the humanoid? And if it works, make that game, if it doesn't, make the sphere characters, OR cut to the chase and make the sphere characters. If you don't wanna type a reply, just answer the Poll :) Thanks
Reason for poll: If enough people think I should do the humanoid characters, then I'll try to see if it'll work, otherwise I just send the humanoids to the trash and deal with little spheres.

Talking on the community chat and waiting for answers here, and the poll, has made me realize to go with the spherical characters, but if you wish, please continue answering the poll!

Edited by Eyes Of The Forgotten, 12 June 2011 - 07:52 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20369

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Choice one: Characters are "super deformed" humans (I hope you all know what I mean, but JUST in case: Small bodies, Big heads, Big eyes) The game play elements are geared towards socializing, exploring, and finding cool stuff, or perhaps even making cool stuff.

You mean like Nintendo Miis, and the charactors in games like Maple Story and Harvest Moon? I personally dislike them. I feel they are adults trying to 'water things down' for children, making me feel belittled and talked-down to. It feels like an subtle insult.

(Note: I'm 20, so actual children may think differently, but I've never liked this type of art style even when young, though I will tolerate if there is good gameplay)

Choice two: Characters are sphere-like, with ears or what not to indicate what "type" they are, same game play elements as choice two, but more aimed towards the exploring side then socializing.

You mean like Kirby? Love it. It's child-friendly but without feeling belittled, and so accessible to adults as well. Same with things like Yoshis and Mario's 'Boos' (the ghosts).
It also has the added benefit that cute ears, hats, mustaches, and facial expressions, can be easily put on the characters in a wide variety of ways to the amusement of players of any age.

Posted Image

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 550

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

You mean like Nintendo Miis, and the charactors in games like Maple Story and Harvest Moon? I personally dislike them. I feel they are adults trying to 'water things down' for children, making me feel belittled and talked-down to. It feels like an subtle insult.

(Note: I'm 20, so actual children may think differently, but I've never liked this type of art style even when young, though I will tolerate if there is good gameplay)

You mean like Kirby? Love it. It's child-friendly but without feeling belittled, and so accessible to adults as well. Same with things like Yoshis and Mario's 'Boos' (the ghosts).
It also has the added benefit that cute ears, hats, mustaches, and facial expressions, can be easily put on the characters in a wide variety of ways to the amusement of players of any age.

Posted Image

Yup and Yup....actually, Kirby almost completely describes the character i designed....but, my character has disembodied hands and no feet/legs
and, the other version is more like harvest moon characters. personally i think they're cute..the girls anyhow xD but i've always been a sucker for anime xD

Jack of all trades

Master of none

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS