• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Knowledge requisition details

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

1Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello,
I've started my work a 2d game that has an isometric movement type of gameplay and an arcade battle system ..
I've learned some basics of game programming and learning openGL - LWJGL 2.7.1

What are the requirements for making a game like the above mentioned ..
I can draw cubes in true Isometric view using glOrtho(); and would like to know HOW TO PROCEED FROM HERE ... !

Currently I m concentrating on navigating a player in an isometric world ...

Questions on my mind ..
1. How to draw the map for an isometric game ... i.e use pre-rendered images or textures applied on tiles
2. Is it a good idea to use 3d back end - eg the cube as a building and a quad with a texture of a building over it and let the collision detection work on the 3d space rather than the quads ?
3. Is billboarding required ?
4. Can lighting technique be used in a 2d game ?

I have provided an attachment of an isometric orthographic projections .. please help me from here ... I m very dedicated and will like to learn from you'll

Attached Thumbnails

• LWJGL_Test7.jpg

Sponsor:

#2 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 559

2Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hello,
I've started my work a 2d game that has an isometric movement type of gameplay and an arcade battle system ..

I can draw cubes in true Isometric view using glOrtho(); and would like to know HOW TO PROCEED FROM HERE ... !

Questions on my mind ..
1. How to draw the map for an isometric game ... i.e use pre-rendered images or textures applied on tiles
2. Is it a good idea to use 3d back end - eg the cube as a building and a quad with a texture of a building over it and let the collision detection work on the 3d space rather than the quads ?

I have provided an attachment of an isometric orthographic projections .. please help me from here ... I m very dedicated and will like to learn from you'll

I've done a simple engine with Isometric graphics before, but I didn't use OpenGL, nor did i use any 3D of any kind. I used a simple 2D engine and built upon that.
For my engine, I tiled the map tiles, (so, no pre-rendering).
Personally I wouldn't use 3D backend, but it's possible, if you want to use lighting it might be easier!
Billboarding will be needed if you're using a 3D backend, if you're not using 3D, then no billboarding will be needed at all.
yes, lighting techniques can be used in a 2D or 3D game, for the 2D game to use lighting there must be a bump map or light map, to correctly apply the light on the 2D surface.

Jack of all trades

Master of none

#3 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

1Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hello,

Questions on my mind ..

I've done a simple engine with Isometric graphics before, but I didn't use OpenGL, nor did i use any 3D of any kind. I used a simple 2D engine and built upon that.
Personally I wouldn't use 3D backend, but it's possible, if you want to use lighting it might be easier!
Billboarding will be needed if you're using a 3D backend, if you're not using 3D, then no billboarding will be needed at all.
yes, lighting techniques can be used in a 2D or 3D game, for the 2D game to use lighting there must be a bump map or light map, to correctly apply the light on the 2D surface.

I have made a character walk without using openGL but I faced issues when porting it to a linux system on my laptop...
And further more many programmers and post in this forums have suggested me to move to a 3d API since the hardware now a days are sophisticated enuf to support them

I have attached the screenshot of the prior project ...

So regarding lightings I have to look up to bumpmaps right ? I mean i understand to provide a night scene we just have to change the ambient lighting to a more bluish color .. but what about if a character moves to a campfire and I want the character to be lit in appropriate manner ..

can you give me an idea about how the tiling system works ..

thank you for ur reply ... very much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08557.JPG

#4 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 559

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

Questions on my mind ..

I have made a character walk without using openGL but I faced issues when porting it to a linux system on my laptop...
And further more many programmers and post in this forums have suggested me to move to a 3d API since the hardware now a days are sophisticated enuf to support them

I have attached the screenshot of the prior project ...

So regarding lightings I have to look up to bumpmaps right ? I mean i understand to provide a night scene we just have to change the ambient lighting to a more bluish color .. but what about if a character moves to a campfire and I want the character to be lit in appropriate manner ..

can you give me an idea about how the tiling system works ..

thank you for ur reply ... very much appreciated

Well, when using OpenGL, the campfire would have a light in it, about orange-red, then make sure that the character is receiving the light from both ambient and the campfire.
In 2D, things a bit different, i don't know if someone has a quick solution for this, but my solution right now is giving me headaches xD (it's long and complicated)

The tiling system is only for 2D system, even though you could make one very similar in 3D. How the tiling system works is that each tile position is adjusted by a predetermined amount, depending on if it's odd or even. there are other ways to do it. I'd have to dig up my Isometric game that i was working on 2 or 3 years back.

my isometric game, which was using a 2D engine, was compatible for both Linux and Windows, with very little, if any, change of code. In java it shouldn't be that hard to make either!

Jack of all trades

Master of none

#5 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

I understand that the campfire will be one light and there will be another ambient light .. but what puzzles me is how to do it in 2d ?

my code is compatible for both linux and windows but on linux i was experiencing some lag in renders even though my game speed and FPS are constant ... which really drove me nuts and made me decide to do it on a 3D API that provides hardware acceleration .. it will also prove useful to me if I want to move to a 3d game at a later point of time ..

I know the lighting thing is giving u headaches but if you can just draw up the general idea and maybe I could work on that ...

#6 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 559

1Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Well, the general idea is, first calculate the ambient light (in 2D); then after calculating that, calculate where the fire is relative to the character, then do some more calculations on how much light the fire should effect the character. two of those calculations has to take a bumpmap in the equation xD

now, don't ask for the code, cause that you wont get :P (even though, if i start a isometric game anytime soon, i would prob make that code xD)

Jack of all trades

Master of none

#7 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

i wont ask for the code .. i rely on logic more than the code since the code is very different for each design ... thanks .. so at least now I know that lighting isnt an issue and is possible for a 2d game ....

#8 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 559

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

it may be possible, but i can assure you that it will be a headache xD
So, what do you think you'll do? 3D or 2D?

Jack of all trades

Master of none

#9 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

I m planning more on 3d terms since I can very well use the functions of the 3d API to my advantage ... but I want a 2d Look and feel since I m planning to do sprites in 2d ..

#10 Night Lone   Members   -  Reputation: 559

1Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

well you will need billboarding for the 2D sprites!
Hmm, this reminds me of Harvest Moon 64 layout, it's all 3D, but uses 2D sprites and what not, that was a really fun game actually :)

Jack of all trades

Master of none

#11 Switchblade_77   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

hmm ... that's certain then .. it just includes so many matrices and makes my head spin .. but I m determined to do it ... I'll chk that title out .. thanks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS