• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Mark topics as read when read

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 jacmoe   Members   -  Reputation: 207

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

I don't know if this is just me, but when I read a topic, it's not marked as read..
Until I mark all topics read for the forum.
Which sort of defies the purpose.

It didn't work in the old forum either.

Other IP boards I visit works as intended, so it must be some special GameDev.Net setup?
Or is it a user setting which you turned off by default?

It's really ruining my forum experience.. <_<

Otherwise: site upgrade was/is great.
I am not complaining, but I feel I'm browsing the forum in the dark when I can't determine what topics I've read and what topics I haven't read yet..

<edit>
See this:
read-not-read.jpeg
Even though I wrote the topic, it's flagged as unread. :lol:

Sponsor:

#2 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

I definitely recall it working in the old forum, although it was quirky - if you visited a forum and then came back later it would have marked all topics read, not just the individual ones you visited. I remember clicking individual threads open in a new tab so the main sub forum page would remain the same read-status wise.

Here it seems IPB has some rather large overhead for topic read tracking. Too much for a community of our size to handle, so we've disabled it to improve performance. I've simply gotten in the habit of clicking the Mark All Read link when I'm done with a forum

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#3 jacmoe   Members   -  Reputation: 207

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

That's what I'm doing right now: one forum, one Firefox, at a time. :lol:

It would be better if it was on, but if it kills the server(s) then it would serve no purpose.
Invision should definitely try and improve performance for large scale communities.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS