• Create Account

Critical Mass on Steam

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hey everyone,

Critical Mass, the game I've been working on for over a year is finally finished and is now available on Steam!

Its a 3d puzzle game and was made by a team of two, myself as programmer and my mate as the artist.

We did everything ourselves, wrote the engine in C++ with OpenGL.

I would appreciate if you all would take a look and give me some feedback as we are starting to plan our next game.

It's available on Steam here: http://bit.ly/jJGRHd

And if you don't like Steam its available on ImpulseDriven too, as well as our website: http://bit.ly/l5G7iN

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
[link]www.digitalartsfront.com[/link]

Sponsor:

#2 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3213

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

Wow, congrats! Looks very addicting! Best of lucks

Dark Sylinc

#3 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wow, congrats! Looks very addicting! Best of lucks

Dark Sylinc

Thanks D.S!

#4 Zethariel   Members   -  Reputation: 310

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

Impressive. I saw that game yesterday on Steam, but didn't know it's actually yours! Great job getting big out there :D Best of luck on future projects!
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

#5 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Impressive. I saw that game yesterday on Steam, but didn't know it's actually yours! Great job getting big out there :D Best of luck on future projects!

Thanks for the kind words Zethariel.

#6 Rodimus   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

I am curious to know what the process of getting it published on Steam was like. Care to explain?

Looked like a very addicting game by the way. Sceptical to trying itPosted Image
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal

#7 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

I am curious to know what the process of getting it published on Steam was like. Care to explain?

Looked like a very addicting game by the way. Sceptical to trying itPosted Image

Hi Rodimus,

I can't say a great deal due to NDA, but there should be enough information here to get you in the right direction:
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

Make sure you have a gameplay video when you submit your game. This is important.

#8 Rodimus   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

I see. Thank you for the link. Appreciate itPosted Image
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal

#9 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3213

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Make sure you have a gameplay video when you submit your game. This is important.

Thanks for the info. Such video... uploaded to youtube, vimeo, own server, via email (I doubt that one), direct download sites (i.e. Megaupload), <insert other options here>?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dark Sylinc

#10 AntonioR   Members   -  Reputation: 199

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

I agree, I personally skip a game if there is no video. I can't see what is going on just from the picture.

Btw, great work. I see you got very good reviews.

#11 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Such video... uploaded to youtube, vimeo, own server, via email (I doubt that one), direct download sites (i.e. Megaupload), <insert other options here>?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dark Sylinc

Hi Matias,

We used vimeo, but I don't think it really matters. As long as it's accessible and decent quality.

#12 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hey guys, just found out we got a MetaScore of 82! So pleased with that.

#13 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

Critical Mass is on sale 50% off. $4.99 from July 1st - 10th http://bit.ly/l5G7iN

Also available on Steam and ImpulseDriven for $9.99

#14 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi everyone,

We released a patch last night that contains some new features.

Colorblind mode which places icons on the cubes to help colorblind people to be able to see the different cubes more easily. This can be enabled form the options menu.

Context sensitive mouse cursor which glows with the color of the current cube that will be placed. This will help you to see the color even when your cursor is not hovering over other blocks.

News feed allows you to see what changes we are making in game and see any new features we have added.

Leaderboards now load asynchronously instead of stalling out in the menu transition.

Bug fix allows you to play the game in Offline mode on Steam. (must play in online mode at least once before offline is enabled, this behavior is the same as if there is no internet connection available)

Users are now warned if their graphics drivers appear to be too old to run the game.

We are still looking into the issue of losing skillpoints discouraging people from playing and are trying to design a better metric to measure player skill, that doesn't have this issue.

Please continue to give us feedback and report any problems that you experience. You can contact us here in the Steam forums, on our website CriticalMassGame.com or on twitter @ManicGames.

We hope you enjoy the changes!
-Matt

#15 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hi everyone,

The PC Demo for Critical Mass has officially been released and is available on Steam (http://bit.ly/jJGRHd) and http://CriticalMassGame.com.

#16 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 979

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone,

The PC Demo for Critical Mass has officially been released and is available on Steam (http://bit.ly/jJGRHd) and http://CriticalMassGame.com.

Good Work!
Looks and Feals like a well Polished Game.

can you add an option to change the screen refresh rate ?
because i dont like 60Hz refresh rate, i dont have a LCD, only a CRT.

can i sak you a question about Steam and your country's taxe's ?
does steam pay those taxes for you, or do you have to do that yourself ?

one more question, what did you use to make Critacle Mass ?
DirectX, OpenGL, Ogre 3D, Unity, SDL, Etc
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#17 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi Ryan,

There is an option to turn off vsync, which will give you frame rates as fast as your video card will allow.

Australia and the US have a tax treaty which means that the amount of tax withheld is significantly lower and that any taxes withheld in the US are deducted from our taxes in Australia.

We used C++ and OpenGL to write a custom engine for Critical Mass.

Hope this answers your questions, anything else, feel free to ask.

#18 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 979

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

There is an option to turn off vsync, which will give you frame rates as fast as your video card will allow.

ok, did'nt think of that.

Australia and the US have a tax treaty which means that the amount of tax withheld is significantly lower and that any taxes withheld in the US are deducted from our taxes in Australia.

so as i understand it, what ever is owed to the "state" gets billed to you ?

We used C++ and OpenGL to write a custom engine for Critical Mass.

whats your engine called ?

did you create your own archive format ? ( demo.ass )
but why the ass extension ?

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#19 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 979

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

just checked out the credits.
can't forget the Coffee, hay ?

#20 VarnishedOtter   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

I'm pretty sure it works this way.

Valve pays the US some taxes out of our profits, using our EIN. Then the IRS tell the Australian ATO how much money they have received and it is deducted from our taxes in AUS. The Australian tax treaty means that Valve only have to pay 5% to the US instead of 30%, then we pay the rest here.

The engine has had a few different codenames, but the closest to an official one is just ManicEngine. Some other things it's been called over the various iterations have been TeaRacer, Gumball, CubeWars and Moodcubes, usually to do with whatever prototype forced an engine rewrite.

We wrote our own asset archive format to work better with our streaming tech. The filename "demo.ass" refers to "demo assets".

And about the coffee, yes it was very important to the completion of this game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS