• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Alpha Video of Project SM3, A Java Android RPG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi!

How is everybody doing here. I have been hard at work on our current project. Been working on making a action RPG using isometric graphics. It has been a lot of fun! Right now I just have a town and the first dungeon type with only one monster. But it is getting there. :)

Below are pictures on the original game engine with some concept shots thrown in. The control graphics are just placeholders from our last game, Sigmore Mines 2 (SM2)

Even more below is a lastest Alpha version of the game. It is definitely not polished enough yet to my liking. But it is getting close. I have a basic projectile support in the game. So the fireball you see are just a projectile for now, not magic.

You can follow our game development at our website forum and our facebook page.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mqrr2rBrkc

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20245

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Looks really cool!

One question: Normally, isometric movement in games uses things like the arrow keys or WASD or whatever, the keys are pointing straight north/south/east/west, while the player actually moves northwest/northeast/southwest/southeast. If you are having actual graphical in-game buttons to move the player (since it's a touch-screen device), why do you still orient the buttons in the directly north/south/east/west, instead of taking the opportunity to do something more intuitive?

What I mean to say is, is there a specific reason you have your movement buttons like this:

Posted Image

When they could be like this (matching your actual in-game movement directions):
Posted Image

It even conserves screenspace alot better (which might be an issue for tablets and smartphones), if you tuck it warmly in the corner of the window:

Posted Image

Just food for thought. I never made a isometric game before, and I've only played a couple of them, so I'm not sure what's ideal for most players.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi. Thanks for they reply. To answer your question. I mentioned it in my second paragraph. It is just placeholder buttons from our last game. They are just there for functionality so I can get things together. I have been holding off drawing new isometric d-pad buttons until I absolutly need them.

But yes, I will be putting them into the corner like you had them. That is in our design plans. I know that plenty of adventure rpgs use click to move, but we reserved our clicks for ranged weapons.

Hope that clears things up :P

#4 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

Here are some latest development pictures of Project SM3. These ones are to focus on the Magic System. I have added 3 spells so far. Fire, Ice, Shock. Icons for the current spell are in the circle to the left of the health and mana bars. The second picture details the quick select spell book. You get there by clicking on the larger icon. The last picture shows the spell book menu. It details each spell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1866

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Those isometric graphics... it is like candy for my brain. But the mountains look bad. And your game mechanic sounds boring. Elemental magic has been overdone.

#6 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

I know that elemental magic has been overdone. But the other spells i have in mind are a little more unique.

Tell me what you think is wrong with the mountains?

thank you for the feedback

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS