"A" or "An" when referring to abbreviations?

Started by
14 comments, last by Don Carnage 12 years, 9 months ago
So, I've been wondering for a while now...what's the proper way to say "A (abbreviation)"?
For example, MMO, FPS, and RPG. Em Em Oh. Are P G. Eff P S. They all sound like they start with a vowel, which is the situation to use 'an', but that's only if you pronounce the letters rather than saying "First Person Shooter" or "Roleplaying Game".

So read this: RPG
Now this: FPS

In your head, did you read out the letters or pronounce what the abbreviations stood for (roleplaying game, etc)?

I myself usually say the letters, but I'm still unsure whether to use 'an' or 'a'.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Advertisement
I read the letters so I would use "an". There are people that don't know what the abbreviation stand for, in that case they too would read them as they are.

You use "a" if the subsequent sound is a consonant, or "an" if it's a vowel.

You'd say "a European" because "European" starts with a [j] sound.

Amusingly it can vary with dialect. You'll see both "a historian" and "an historian" depending how they say it.

"An RPG" because "an arrr-pee-jee".

If in doubt, speak out.
A - an
B - a
C - a
D - a
E - an
F - an
G - a
H - an
I - an
J - a
K - a
L - an
M - an
N - an
O - an
P - a
Q - a
R - an
S - an
T - a
U - a
V - a
W - a
X - an
Y - a
Z - a
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
Here's a better question:

Read this:

a FPS
an FPS

Did your brain change how you said it depending on the first word? Mine didn't, I said "a Eff-pee-ess" then "an eff-pee-ess".

So basically whatever you do someone is going to think you did it wrong. Personally, I say the letters so I write for a vowel sound.

An LOL
an FPS
an RPG
a GPS
an MMO
Church,

Yup, that is the case that not everyone will agree on how to say things including abbreviations...

That's generally OK. My advice to the OP in light of that is that if one gets "called out" about it, just ignore it.
Google shows a lot of advice, but the major style guides tend to follow this set of rules. Base it on the sound. "An MRI", because it sounds like "em are eye", starting with a vowel sound. "A FAQ" because it starts with a consonant sound.

Google shows a lot of advice, but the major style guides tend to follow this set of rules. Base it on the sound. "An MRI", because it sounds like "em are eye", starting with a vowel sound. "A FAQ" because it starts with a consonant sound.

ef-ay-que "We have an FAQ for the forums"

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1309538812' post='4830078']

ef-ay-que "We have an FAQ for the forums"
[/quote]

Or in my case: "a FAQ" sounds like "a fack."

Like others have said, different people will read it differently, you'll never get it "right." For many people it will vary from acronym to acronym. Some people read each letter of the acronym, others read it as its own word, others read it as if its not abbreviated. Others still will adapt what they read to what you preface the acronym with.

In short, write it how you yourself say it.
Sounds like people here are thinking like me...

I did understand the "say it if it's pronounced like a vowel" not "say it if it starts with a vowel" concept that JoeCooper and ChurchSkiz said...for example, you wouldn't say 'an opossum' because 'opossum' is really pronounced 'possum', even though it might look wrong (a opossum). Though I didn't think European starts with a J sound..more like "yer-uh-pee-in"..

I also say "fack" when I read FAQ..

It seems like, when I played Guild Wars, a PC MMORPG, there was a dungeon called the "Underworld" but people referred to it as "UW". So, "Do you want to do UW", which means "Do you want to do Underworld?" rather than "Do you want to do the Underworld?"...but whenever I started using "The UW" I looked like an idiot because I was the only one saying it that way...
It was also the same for the "Fissure of Woe"..everyone just said "FoW".
For some reason, whenever I see FoW, though, I pronounce it..like 'ow' with an F pronounced before it..

Thanks for the discussion and opinions!

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement