• Create Account

Nvidia island demo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 wildboar   Members   -  Reputation: 281

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

I really like the way the water and terrain is rendered in this demo:

They have the code for it released in the new SDK on their site.
Would it be a good idea to implement something very similar for an RPG game based on their code?
Or is that demo designed for pure demo purposes (not games)

I get around 150 fps with medium tessellation on 590gtx, but it seems this demo is without shadows or post processing.

My game wont be released for about 1-2 years, I really don't know how the hardware will be at that time.

Sponsor:

#2 Krypt0n   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2283

1Likes

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

My game wont be released for about 1-2 years, I really don't know how the hardware will be at that time.

Using D3D11, you are in the position to cover probably all hardware there will be used for gaming, in two years. Some will have of course just feature level that match D3D9, you have to support that, especially for an RPG (people won't buy a new highend machine to play it, they'll more likely have a laptop with some Intel HD2000 graphics). But that shouldn't be an issue, most games that come out and have water rendering, run nicely on D3D9 (crysis2 did not even have support for a higher API).

My advice is, add NVidia's water rendering, but make a d3d9 compatible version what looks "ok". Luckily there are older nvidia demos showing exactly that :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS