• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

[C++] Concept 3D Tool Games (TOGs) Needs You!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 T e c h l o r d   Members   -  Reputation: 186

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

Project name:
Super 3D Tool Games
HomeDownloadSVNLicense Web TasksJoin/Guest Chat

Brief description:
Super 3D Tool Games is part of the ambitious DGDK Open Source Project started within The Game Creators Community 08/10/2009 with the intent of providing a FREE Commercial Grade GUI-Driven 3D Application Development Platform { Engine, Editor Suite, Game (FPSRPG) } for the PC, suitable for Novice and Professional Application/Game Developers.

Super 3D Tool Games introduces the concept of a Tool Game (TOG). A Tool Game is an Editing Application with interactive entertainment elements, or an Entertainment Application with functional editing features (ie: import/export). Our current focus is on the development of a state-of-the-art 2D/3D Game-User Interface that will support the production of Multi-user Tool Games (TOGs).

Target aim:
Open-Source/Freeware

Compensation:
None

Technology:
Posted Image
Super 3D Game Platform C++ Architecture (Full View)

Talent needed:

• Experienced C++ Programmer, to assist in the development of GUI Framework Source and Script API
    (able to work with established Programming Conventions)
  • 3D Modeler & Animator, to provide Art Assets for R&D of State-of-the-Art 3D Entity Construction and Animation System.
  • Technical Writers, to assist in the organization and writing of Wiki and API Documentation.

Team structure:Frankie `Techlord` Taylor - Project Coordinator, Lead Software Engineer/Programmer/Web Developer
Marcus Mercer - Programmer

Target completion date:
The goal is to complete the GUI Framework Development in 6-9 months.

Project Entry Point
WWW Host Server

Contacts:
frankie_taylor@hotmail.com

Previous Work by Team:
Frankie `Techlord` Taylor:

Additional Info:The Super 3D Tool Games seamlessly integrates the DarkTokens/TBEMS MicroTransaction API 3.0, providing a Built-in/Turn-key Microtransaction, Marketing, and Distribution Solution with any Application/Game developed with S3TOG. DarkTokens/TBEMS allows Microtransactions to be implemented in non-conventional ways, providing multiple Products & Services to generate revenue within a single product.

ANY

Sponsor:

#2 T e c h l o r d   Members   -  Reputation: 186

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

What is a Tool Game (TOG)?

The Short Answer: A Tool Game is an Editing Application with interactive entertainment elements, or an Entertainment Application with functional editing features.

The Long Answer:
I wanted to develop Games not Editors, but, I always found myself developing Editing Tools in one form or another. Then one day I had an epiphany. Why not re-skin these applications and use them in-game for user customization? Why not add game mechanics to these applications to make editing more animated, entertaining, and interactive? Why not create Tools that are fun to play! Nothing written in stone commanding Tools to only be serious.

That day changed how I viewed Editors. Creation is fun, and even more so when you have to blast on AI controlled Aliens out to abduct your work-of-art! So with my new found vision, I elected to develop the Super 3D Game Editor concurrently-on-top of the Super 3D Game Engine. To support this concept, I concluded a custom GUI system would be required that consolidates all User and CPU Interactivity 2D/3D GUI Widgets, 3D Event Triggers, Player Controller.

I wanted to develop games not editors and I found a way that I enjoy doing both. I'm not developing Game Tools, I'm developing Tool Games (TOGs), thus Super 3D Tool Games was born. I'm simply blurring the lines a little, a Toolbox full of Toys, a Toy-box full of Tools. Sometimes we indie game developers have to think outside-the-
(tool)box. So don't be a Tool, Join this project today!:D

#3 T e c h l o r d   Members   -  Reputation: 186

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Nope, I don't mean just a in-game UI. I'm developing Tool Games (TOGs), possibly a new game genre. I wanted to make games not editors! I found a way that I enjoy doing both. Its about presentation and delivery. Nothing written in stone commanding Tools to only be serious. I'm simply blurring the lines a little, is it a Toolbox full of Toys or a Toy-box full of Tools?

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting what is a Tool Game.... can you please explain in more detail and clearly? Posted Image

But if you just invented a new game genre, congratulations!

Hi Mauricio Cinelli,

The best I can do in explaining the concept is provide a reference to In-Game Player Editing/Customization Tools (ie: Little Big Planet 2). In addition to the interactive entertainment elements, Super 3D Tool Games provides functional data import and export of your creations in a variety of formats usable in other products. For S3TOGs, editing isn't a complimentary feature, its the primary feature.

Reference: Game Tools Development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS