Synchronising and Atomic Clocks

Started by
3 comments, last by DeltaVee 22 years, 7 months ago
I have two game ''clients'' that need to be synchronised. So I was thinking that I could get the time from the Naval Observatory or from Greenwich. I see plenty of little applets that do this but I can''t find out how they do it. Anyone have a clue? thanx D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
Well, you could syncronize them to eachother, it''s the difference in time that matters...

I think it''s called SNTP (simple network time protocol?). And there''s a pile of public reference servers.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I must admit I was a little side tracked. I will synchronise my clients with each other, but I am interested in NTP and SNTP, I just can''t find any sample could. I am not even sure which RFC I should be looking at. Alot of it is obsolute and there are at least 10 RFC''s that handle bits and pieces, goes into RSA and all.

I was just wondering if any one had some code snippets out there.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Take a look at this page for a simple way to synchronize timers on 2 computers: http://www.codewhore.com/howto1.html
Matt Slot / Bitwise Operator / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Rather than implement code on your own, you can go to www.thinkman.com and get Dimension 4, which is a free Windows time-sync via SNTP. Options out the wazoo.

-------------
-WarMage
...hey! that''s my execution thread! get your own cpu!...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement