• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Create 2D model in 3ds max

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sh@dow   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi all,

I'm developing a simple game (2D) and i need to draw a model.
Is it possible to draw a model on a plane in 3ds max using primitives(circle,oval) and export vertex coordinates to a file? How could i do this?
I see that 3ds max works only in 3D.
Thanks,

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5581

2Likes

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Short answer no. Longer answer, you could, but you would be abusing the intent of the tool and would be horrifically inefficient.

If you want to do 2D graphics using primitives, you want a vector based program such as Illustrator ( $$ ), Inkscape ( free ) or Expressions Blend ( $ ).

Or you want a pixel based ( raster ) program such as Photoshop ( $$ ), Corel Painter ( $ ), Paint.net ( free ) or GIMP ( free ).

#3 M.Jackson   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Serapth is correct. You cannot natively export a 3ds model into a vector format. I am sure that someone more motivated than myself could write an extension to do this, but I cannot conceive why anyone would want to do this.

Traditionally, when a 3D application is used to create 2D images, the final product is a render of a 3D environment. So, one might model and animate a person walking, then place that person in a preset render-room with a camera at a specific angle and render to a series of still images that are then put into a game environment and scaled like any other graphic. This can have aliasing problems unless your images are of a large size, which can cause loading problems depending on your implementation and when all the different walk cycles and other animations are included your size and memory usage will likely exceed simply using the full 3d model.

If at all possible, you want the vector based approach as mentioned by Serapth.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS