Help Running OpenGL 4.0

Started by
1 comment, last by oler1s 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm learning OpenGL 4.0 but currently the computer I have doesn't have a good enough graphics card to run it (it's a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop). I'm in the process of building a new computer, but I was wondering if in the mean time there was any way I could get my current computer to run a OpenGL 4.0 program. (It doesn't have to run it WELL, I would just like to know the code I'm learning is actually working) The only possibility I could think of was running a virtual machine. I don't have very much experience with them, so I'm not sure if it would work or if I should just wait for my new computer. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Advertisement
Most vm software just gives access to the origional hardware, so I dont think that will help.
Are you already able to write programs using OpenGL? You mention OpenGL 4.0 specifically, but if you're just getting started, you don't really need to worry about 4.0 specifically. Even with a poor Intel card, you can get started and learn the basics. Can you already set up a model, and then do any basic transforms on it (without using the FFP)?

If you have the version of the laptop with the radeon card, you have up to OpenGL 3.3 . Do you need something from 4.0 specifically?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement