Quality Assurance Guide

Started by
5 comments, last by Fox89 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at this website and I have been thinking of purchasing the ebook. Has anyone ever purchased this guide? I am very skeptical about sites like these because they are generally scams. However, this one says money back guarantee so it's risk free anyway. I looked up Clickbank and they seem reliable on refunds. I am unfortunately tight on funds right now but I will probably try this soon. Anyone ever tried paying for something like this?
Advertisement

1. I have been looking at http://www.becomeagametester.com and I have been thinking of purchasing the ebook.
2. I am very skeptical about sites like these because they are generally scams.
3. However, this one says money back guarantee

1. NO! READ THE FAQS! (Click the FAQs link above. See FAQs 5 and 24.)
2. Good. Smart of you.
3. Don't be so gullible!!! BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID. Never send money to jerks like the owner of that site. Read http://www.igda.org/games-game-july-2007

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I cannot re-emphasize enough what Tom says very clearly above! It is a scam. Even if they actually have good information, it is STILL a scam because that information is freely available from places such as this and the various resources linked to from this website.

Besides, of all the jobs you DON'T need a book to learn how to do: games tester is right there. I'm a tester myself at the moment and whilst it does require hard work, it doesn't have all that much in the way of technical skills. If you are coherent enough with English to fill in the registration form for this forum, you have all the technical skills a tester needs. The rest is just about being thorough.
No, dont buy ANYTHING. I am a QA tester and I did not have to go though any scams or pay any money. Only way you can get a testing job is this.

1. A staffing company like Volt, Kelly services, or Areotek.

2. Apply to smaller video game companies in hopes you can be hired.

Be aware that game companies want people with experience so your other choice would be through a staffing company.
[color="#1c2837"]Only way you can get a testing job is this.

[color="#1C2837"]2. Apply to smaller video game companies in hopes you can be hired.[/quote]

In my experience a big publisher is the safest bet for anyone who has one nearby. In the UK at least, things may be different elsewhere but I'd be surprised if they were that different. At least 5 of the guys I graduated with got offered QA contracts at Sony, 3 of us are working at Codemasters and more still have gone to the likes of Rare and Traveller's Tales. Any major publisher will need QA staff quite regularly especially if they are someone like Sony who own or work with a number of smaller studios.

Smaller companies are good to, although they'll suffer from more limited availability.
That site is an amazing scam... good for a laugh though, in a very sad way :/

Not only is it a scam, but it's description of what QA does, what their responsibilities are, and how much they're paid is just false.

e.g. take this:
""What did you think of the main game menu? (if you liked the overall appearance, if it was easy to navigate, to enter and exit different modes, etc..)""
and make it more like this:
""We've got a report that when the menus are accessed multiple times after playing through the 3rd boss-fight using only your starting equipment, that the sounds on level 6 become muted. Can you stay back late tonight to try and confirm this and get us a 100% repro-case?""
[color="#1C2837"]""We've got a report that when the menus are accessed multiple times after playing through the 3rd boss-fight using only your starting equipment, that the sounds on level 6 become muted. Can you stay back late tonight to try and confirm this and get us a 100% repro-case?"" [/quote]

Yup, that sounds about right! If you don't work in marketing, you totally should ;)

Ah, we live the dream... :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement