• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Lots of spam problem tracker

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Good to see the spammers realized they're a problem and at least posted their crap in the right place: http://www.gamedev.net/tracker/project-1-gamedevnet-articles/

Sponsor:

#2 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

FWIW I've still been keeping an eye on it and fixing article issues that are reported

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#3 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

Not that it really bothers me or anything.. ;)

But there's a month worth of spam in there now, and it doesn't seem to contain a single legitimate thread. I think you might as well close the forum completely or at least remove the link to it in the main menu.

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Yea, no argument here.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#5 Geri   Members   -  Reputation: 237

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

just recived this:

Hi Dear !
How are you doing today,hope fine, my name is Rita and i am a girl. I saw your profile today www.gamedev.net and decided to extend my greetings to you.
I will be very glad if you can contact me thorough my email address,so that i can send you my pictures and tell you more about myself here is my adress(ritabirara2@yahoo.com.ph)
Remember the distance,color or age does not matter but love matters a lot in alife
Have a nice day and remain Blessed.
Rita

Create your 3D RPG: Maker3D

#6 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7003

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

just recived this:

Hi Dear !
How are you doing today,hope fine, my name is Rita and i am a girl. I saw your profile today www.gamedev.net and decided to extend my greetings to you.
I will be very glad if you can contact me thorough my email address,so that i can send you my pictures and tell you more about myself here is my adress(ritabirara2@yahoo.com.ph)
Remember the distance,color or age does not matter but love matters a lot in alife
Have a nice day and remain Blessed.
Rita

Posted Image
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#7 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Geri please use the Report button found at the bottom of each PM message so we can see the user details of the person who sent the message. There's no account tied to the email used in the PM

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#8 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14505

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Geri please use the Report button found at the bottom of each PM message so we can see the user details of the person who sent the message. There's no account tied to the email used in the PM

I get these pretty regularly via email, so it may not be possible to report a PM directly...

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#9 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

I get these pretty regularly via email, so it may not be possible to report a PM directly...

Good point. Still, it's just a notification the actual PM is still in your Inbox on the site might as well just open it and click report than visit the forums and post about it. Although, I don't mind if someone chooses the latter so long as they provide us the info needed to do something about it Posted Image

This user has been banned now, BTW

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#10 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14505

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Good point. Still, it's just a notification the actual PM is still in your Inbox on the site might as well just open it and click report than visit the forums and post about it.

No, I mean I get an actual email with that same text. Not a PM notification - I guess the same spam bot is harvesting email addresses from profiles.

Although, I don't mind if someone chooses the latter so long as they provide us the info needed to do something about it Posted Image

I just reported another PM, as well.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#11 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 26173

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just got one this morning:

Hello,

good day.My name is Natysha.

i am a young girl never married and i will love to know you.i read your profile today at (www.gamedev.net) and i became interested in you,i will like us to keep communicating,please write to me through my email address (natysha78udoma@yahoo.com) so that i can send you my picture for you to know who i am.

(Remember that age,distance or colour does not matter)

I will be happy to seeing a good responds from you

Thanks and remain blessed.(natysha78udoma@yahoo.com)

Your's in love Natysha.

Interesting that both Cornstalks and mine have the word 'blessed' in it. Maybe they think GameDev is a religious forum. The Church of Programmatology, maybe. Posted Image

Unfortunately, I can't "Report" the private message because there is no report button visible, possibly because:

You cannot reply

All other recipients have left this conversation

So instead I tried to report the profile page directly:

[#10136] You do not have permission to report the item you are attempting to report.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal | [Fly with me on Twitter

#12 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Just got one this morning:

I got it too, the user was banned already by the time I went to handle it, but that's also why you couldn't report

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#13 fredd   Members   -  Reputation: 101

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Noon friends

#14 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 23327

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Please don't resurrect very old topics -- this one is over a year old -- for no reason.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS