• Create Account

Objective C book

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Holland   Members   -  Reputation: 155

0Likes

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

Looking for recommendations on books (physical, actual books...not web sites please) that are based around Objective C programming for the already experience C/C++/C# programmer. All of the books I've found on Amazon are for people who have never programmed before. I have programmed for a number of years, in the gaming industry. I just want a nice book to use as reference and to get me started with Objective C goodness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 blewisjr   Members   -  Reputation: 622

1Likes

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Looking for recommendations on books (physical, actual books...not web sites please) that are based around Objective C programming for the already experience C/C++/C# programmer. All of the books I've found on Amazon are for people who have never programmed before. I have programmed for a number of years, in the gaming industry. I just want a nice book to use as reference and to get me started with Objective C goodness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You are going to need a bit more then a reference. Objective-C is a few worlds apart from the other languages you know because it revolves around Apples Cocoa framework which is what actually makes objective-c useful. I would recommend the Hillegass book from this link. http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619. This is not what I would consider a noob book it is organized in such a way that you can skip or just quick review certain earlier sections. For instance you can skip or skim the first section on pure C and move right to the objective C portion and then right into the Cocoa portion. This is the best book on the market by far and Objective-C/Cocoa are so wacked that this book will make sense of it.

#3 Holland   Members   -  Reputation: 155

0Likes

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Awesome...thanks. I've also heard of others referring to this book so it seems to have a reputation of sorts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You are going to need a bit more then a reference. Objective-C is a few worlds apart from the other languages you know because it revolves around Apples Cocoa framework which is what actually makes objective-c useful. I would recommend the Hillegass book from this link. http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0321503619. This is not what I would consider a noob book it is organized in such a way that you can skip or just quick review certain earlier sections. For instance you can skip or skim the first section on pure C and move right to the objective C portion and then right into the Cocoa portion. This is the best book on the market by far and Objective-C/Cocoa are so wacked that this book will make sense of it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS