• Create Account

What's the largest number you can come up with?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
57 replies to this topic

#1 sooner123   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Write/describe the largest finite number you possibly can in one post. You may use any amount of functions, numbers, or operations you know of or can come up with. As long as your number is unambiguously expressed, it counts. Please do not use any references (google/books/calculators/etc.) Just your noggin' if you please! Of course you can work stuff out on a piece of paper if you need, but I'd prefer to see what people come up with without consulting any references outside their brain.

Please post your response without reading any of the other replies in this thread

This is an interesting experiment I recently did with one of my classes and I'd love to see what people come up with here.

After this goes on for awhile, I'll post some of the more clever answers my students gave.

Sponsor:

#2 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8120

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

1 + ∑ 

∀ page : pages(http://www.gamedev.net/topic/607302-whats-the-largest-number-you-can-come-up-with) 

∀ post : posts(page) | post ≠ this

eval(equation(post))

#3 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9565

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Well there's always calling the Ackermann function with Graham's number.

#4 Ezbez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1164

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

rip-off: I think you will enjoy the equation in this post:

-1 times the Ackermann function of Graham's number.

(In other words, SiCrane is winning).

#5 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 444

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Does a googol count as unambiguous?

I would say googolplex^ googolplex

#6 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 603

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

#7 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8120

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

-1 times the Ackermann function of Graham's number.

Well played. I could add abs(), but I'm pretty sure I was cheating to start with.

#8 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9565

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

1 + ∑ 
      ∀ page : pages(http://www.gamedev.net/topic/607302-whats-the-largest-number-you-can-come-up-with) 
             eval(equation(post))

Wouldn't you also be disqualified if someone quoted this formula since it would no longer be a finite number?

#9 sooner123   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

1 + ∑ 
         	eval(equation(post))

Wouldn't you also be disqualified if someone quoted this formula since it would no longer be a finite number?

Could pass the depth of recursion as an argument and terminate with a finite number at a certain depth.

But I was hoping for posts that didn't reference other posts :(

#10 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

a bazzilion gillion zillion

#11 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4189

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

• Get maximum storage space allowed for one forum post, or remaining hard drive space on the forum server, whichever is smaller.
  • Determine ZLIB block representing the most possible 0xFF bytes in a row.
  • Repeat this ZLIB block until there is no more space available.
NOTE: The uncompressed data is to be interpreted in unsigned form.

#12 GoofProg.F   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Write/describe the largest finite number you possibly can in one post. You may use any amount of functions, numbers, or operations you know of or can come up with. As long as your number is unambiguously expressed, it counts. Please do not use any references (google/books/calculators/etc.) Just your noggin' if you please! Of course you can work stuff out on a piece of paper if you need, but I'd prefer to see what people come up with without consulting any references outside their brain.

Please post your response without reading any of the other replies in this thread

This is an interesting experiment I recently did with one of my classes and I'd love to see what people come up with here.

After this goes on for awhile, I'll post some of the more clever answers my students gave.

Easy. I would use three strings with various operations and algorithm to display it. Pretty easy, but I will not release my new top secret patented copyrighted trademark. As a matter of fact I would recommend using that for games because using 32 bit floating point values just for calculations and displaying seems a bit too much now unless someone needs to cram more than a million floating point values in their test application

cheers!
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3

#13 sooner123   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

• Get maximum storage space allowed for one forum post, or remaining hard drive space on the forum server, whichever is smaller.

Your post started out so promising. Then you didn't know about the busy beaver and I was disappointed.

#14 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

The number of times I have played StarCraft.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#15 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4189

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Your post started out so promising. Then you didn't know about the busy beaver and I was disappointed.

Yeah, I'm definitely more implementation-oriented than theory-oriented and don't have the slightest clue what a busy beaver is. It was dangerous for me to post in a theory-oriented thread, wasn't it? :)

#16 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

Aleph.

Plus one.

#17 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1766

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

The largest valid response in this thread, +1.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#18 sooner123   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Aleph.

Plus one.

Which Aleph? Either way, it's infinite.

#19 sooner123   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

The largest valid response in this thread, +1.

That's a paradox.

Unless you're acknowledging that your response will not be valid. Because if yours is valid, then you will have to add 1 ad infinitum.

#20 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS