• Create Account

Design-tips

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

I've decided to learn more about designing a project, and my immediate idea that sprung to mind was to try to figure out which classes and/or interfaces would be needed to implement and existing game with known properties. Is there any tool I could download that could help me visualize my classes in a structured manner?
The game I landed on was The Sims 2, because it is second-in-line in a series of three games, meaning that the technology would probably be more refined, yet not too advanced. So far, I came up with some classes:

Sim - Baseclass for all types of Sim (Male, female, child, old).
Game - Responsible for ticking the simulation and running the game's functions (rendering and updating).
Renderer - Renders stuff.
AudioOutputter - Outputs audio.

I have some questions;

Does the design of the game differ based on the language of implementation?
Does anyone have ideas for more classes?

Thanks!

Edit: To come up with more classes, it would be helpful if you've actually played The Sims 2

Sponsor:

#2 6510   Members   -  Reputation: 151

1Likes

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

view, input controller, options, game launcher, sim disease, game saver, brain, soul, animals, family, money, house, relationship, clothes, furniture, events (internal/technical), events (in sim life), navigation stuff, world, ...

#3 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thanks!

#4 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

Does anyone know of a tool to help me visualize my design?

#5 flodihn   Members   -  Reputation: 243

1Likes

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

Try using DIA if you are looking for a tool to create UML diagrams.
Works on Linux/Mac & Windows.

#6 sjaakiejj   Members   -  Reputation: 130

1Likes

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

Either DIA as mentioned above, or my personal favourite; Violet. Violet is in Java, so it works on any operating system. It's also specific to UML, making it quite a bit easier and more convenient to use.

#7 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

Thanks!

#8 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

In case anyone's interested... Violet doesn't actually work. At least not on Windows 7. I get an error saying that the main class was not found. And that's after I added Java to my PATH.

#9 6510   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

"java -jar com.horstmann.violet-0.21.1.jar" works on my Windows 7 . How did you try to launch it ?

#10 sjaakiejj   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

In case anyone's interested... Violet doesn't actually work. At least not on Windows 7. I get an error saying that the main class was not found. And that's after I added Java to my PATH.

6510's suggestion should do the trick. In fact, you should be able to run it simply by double clicking it, as I believe that that's how I run it.

#11 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

6510's solution seems to work. Double-clicking it does not. I tried setting the jar extension to javaw.exe first, then when that didn't work I set it to java.exe. Neither of them worked.

#12 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

If anyone's interested, here's what I came up with so far...

Posted Image

#13 sjaakiejj   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

6510's solution seems to work. Double-clicking it does not. I tried setting the jar extension to javaw.exe first, then when that didn't work I set it to java.exe. Neither of them worked.

Just tried it and it works for me, it's definitely javaw.exe that you need.

Regarding your design, I'm not sure if I would have Gender as an alone standing class. You might have two classes, MaleSim and FemaleSim, but even that would be rather far-fetched, as the functionality of the two is likely to be near-identical. Instead, you could have an anonymous enum in the class "Sim", that has the two values MALE and FEMALE, and a variable "Gender" instead.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS