• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

[MMO] Corporation-States

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 invutil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1926

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Team name:

DMD Studios

Project name:

Corporation-States

Brief description:

In the future, the corporation has become the dominant form of social organization and all responsibilities previously held by governments are held by corporations.

Corporation-States is a unique real-time strategy game that uses real money in a simulated economy.

Players will be able to purchase game currency through MoneyBookers which will circulate in a virtual economy. The economy will consist of several resources and building types.

The game world will grow which each new player, although players will only be able to see a single 16x16 plot of land at any time.

I started work on the iPhone and Java versions a few months ago.

Target aim:

The game client is freeware, but you must invest some real money through MoneyBookers through the website to play

Compensation:

Experience and any money the project earns.

Technology:

The server will be programmed in C/C++ and will run on Windows. The database is stored in MySQL. The website is done in PHP. ODBC is used to communicate with the database.

There will be a Java browser version and a client for the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.

Talent needed:

If you know how to program for Android, Windows Smartphone, Xbox, PlayStation, or any other system, you can help make the game universal and the game world accessible from any smartphone or game console. I will work closely with you to tell you exactly how the game works.

Team structure:

polyfrag - Programmer, artist
nicky - Composer
Paolo - Composer
Inkling - Voice acting
Schwartz86 - Android programmer, Windows phone programmer
Man-2000 - Voice acting
Dark_Space - Voice acting, legal advice

http://corpstates.myftp.org/

Contacts:

Email: polyfrag@hotmail.com
Phone: 604-339-3875
Forum: http://corpstates.myftp.org/phpbb3/

Previous Work by Team:

I've previously worked on an older version of this game for the iPhone (on Windows, which I wasn't able to publish because I didn't have a Mac, which I now have).

I've also worked on an isometric version of the game in Java. This will be the basis of what the game will look like. Although the iPod touch version will be the bottleneck, in terms of maximum client world width, etc. (because it must run smoothly on all clients in order for it to say synchronized).

I've also developed a server for an FPS game that communicated to a MySQL server through ODBC.

Additional Info:

Here are older versions of the game for the iPhone (the newer game will be isometric):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

An old description of the economic system can be found here: http://corpstates.myftp.org/?Design

Also check out sketches: http://corpstates.myftp.org/?Sketches

Although mostly correct, the sketches do not represent the design I have in my head right now. For example, the Nuclear Powerplant will be called the Reactor and the Coal Powerplant will be called the Combustor and I am not sure if it will use Coal or some made-up mineral. For example, instead of Oil, the game uses "Zetrol" which is extracted from "Zetrol Patches" by Zetrol Wells (or Zetrol Pumps). The gas stations are actually called Fuel Stations and the shopping malls are called Shopping Complexes. The Zetrol Refinery will be simply called Refinery. Workers are called Labourers. Soldiers are called Mercenaries.

As mentioned, only a 16x16 part of the world will be viewable at any one time. Whenever a unit enters a client's viewable area, the server sends them a message (or whenever a building is constructed near their viewable area). Whenever a worker has a goal outside the client's viewable area, the server sends them a message.

Sponsor:

#2 Syerjchep   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Looks intresting, surprised that no one has posted here yet.

#3 invutil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1926

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

We now have a Java and an iPhone game client that connects to the server and downloads the world data. The Java client has been tested and works on Linux, Windows and Mac.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDMy8K71eA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_dVI1rajA

#4 Geri   Members   -  Reputation: 196

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

just a suggestion: Google Android

Create your 3D RPG: Maker3D

#5 StauntonLick   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Looks like an interesting concept - I'd say it'd be perfect for social game platforms like Facebook, especially given the idea of microtransactions. Might be one for people who don't like the cartoony naffness of games like Farmville.
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com

#6 A Brain in a Vat   Members   -  Reputation: 313

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Some comments on the design.

The workers will reproduce asexually, like microbes. When they have an abundance of Consumer Goods, they will split into two. On the other hand, if they don't have enough Consumer Goods, they can starve and die.

The correlation in the real world is actually opposite. The less wealth a family has, the more children it's likely to have. I'm not sure if modeling this would be interesting.

Are you going to model unemployed workers? What happens to the workers when a corporation decides to close a factory? I guess in a completely corporation-controlled society you could just let them starve and die off, but you aren't going to get interesting economic dynamics if the workers-to-available-jobs ratio is set at one-to-one.

#7 hiigara   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

You say the game will use real money, then you mention game currency. So it's game currency or real money or both?

#8 invutil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1926

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

just a suggestion: Google Android

I'm hoping there's a simulator for Android phones so I don't have to go out and purchase one.

I'd say it'd be perfect for social game platforms like Facebook, especially given the idea of microtransactions.

I really want to do and it would be easy but I already have a lot to work on.

The correlation in the real world is actually opposite. The less wealth a family has, the more children it's likely to have. I'm not sure if modeling this would be interesting.

I could organize workers into households, where 2+ workers live in one apartment or house. I could add some propensity-to-reproduce function. But they would probably just die out because of poorness and it wouldn't be interesting (unless they found jobs in other areas).

Are you going to model unemployed workers?

Here's what unemployed workers look like:

http://www.youtube.c...Eq7qExU&t=2m20s

What happens to the workers when a corporation decides to close a factory?

No building is ever operating at 100% so there's always jobs they can take up. It only takes 1 second to use up 1 Labour, so the most time consumed is travelling between buildings rather than working at them. (Once a worker picks a job though, they head straight to it, even if a better job opens up.)
All buildings will be supplied with labour though, because if there are bottlenecks like some building not receiving resource inputs, it would not be able to receive further labour until the inputs are received.

I guess in a completely corporation-controlled society you could just let them starve and die off, but you aren't going to get interesting economic dynamics if the workers-to-available-jobs ratio is set at one-to-one.

The only major cause of workers starving I had was pathfinding when there are buildings in the way.

You say the game will use real money, then you mention game currency. So it's game currency or real money or both?

It uses real Canadian dollars.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS