• Create Account

camera system object centric

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 giugio   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

hello.
I have this function in webgl for a camera system:
function handleMouseMove(event) {

if (!mouseDown) {
            	return;
        	}
        	var newX = event.clientX;
        	var newY = event.clientY;

var deltaX = newX - lastMouseX
        	var newRotationMatrix = mat4.create();
        	mat4.identity(newRotationMatrix);
        	mat4.rotate(newRotationMatrix, degToRad(deltaX / 10), [0, 1, 0]);

var deltaY = newY - lastMouseY;
        	mat4.rotate(newRotationMatrix, degToRad(deltaY / 10), [1, 0, 0]);

mat4.multiply(newRotationMatrix, RotationMatrix, RotationMatrix);

lastMouseX = newX
        	lastMouseY = newY;
    	}
the problem is that this camera system is not object centered.
I wish, when rotate , rotates the object around its axis and for the traslation go ahead and back.
I already done for traslation and mouse weel, but i don't know how do for the rotation of the camera around object.
How i can find the object axis? i have a bounding sphere, and his center.
thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2506

1Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

You could use the object's world transformation to find out the axis you'll wish to rotate around.

You should find a function called LookAt to generate a view matrix from desired location to the center of your object. Now, only thing you'll need to do is to rotate the camera location around the axis you get from the world matrix.

Possibly, there might even be a function for that.

Cheers!

#3 giugio   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

You could use the object's world transformation to find out the axis you'll wish to rotate around.

You should find a function called LookAt to generate a view matrix from desired location to the center of your object. Now, only thing you'll need to do is to rotate the camera location around the axis you get from the world matrix.

Cheers!

thanks, but how i can find the object axis?

#4 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2506

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:13 AM

Cheers!

thanks, but how i can find the object axis?

Well, you should look in to the world transform matrix of the object, which practically contains 3 vectors describing the XYZ-axises of rotation.

Does it matter that you camera rotates around the object's axis or do you just want your camera to rotate around the object regardless of the object axis?

Cheers!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS