• Create Account

[MMO] Medieval/Building Java Game - NEED SOUND EFFECTS/COMPOSER/PROGRAMMER/ARTISTS/AND MORE! **A PAID JOB!**

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

EDIT: Nvm. >.>

Sponsor:

#2 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

Here's a conversation I had with Josh about the game: http://theinternethub.44.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90

I think we have the idea for the game completely made out, now. :D

#3 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Buuuump.

Please, anyone? :P

I even have pics now:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by swiftcoder, 06 August 2011 - 09:16 AM.
Copyrighted image deleted

#4 spacecowgoesmoo   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

You may want to reconsider your compensation plan; composers and artists have to work just as hard as programmers do.

#5 Moritz P.G. Katz   Members   -  Reputation: 1053

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

^ I agree!

Also, you might want to check the rules and guidelines for Help Wanted. Three bumps in less than two hours?

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

#6 descara   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

Feels a bit silly signing up for just this post but since I was going to anyway, and for the sake of decency:

Why is "your" picture made up of screenshots from Baldur's Gate?

EDIT:
In case someone don't know what I'm on about:
Google image search

4th result is even the very same picture (unless it depends on your locale, I guess).

#7 Syerjchep   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Idea man detected.

Just saying, you posted that all you will contribute is "ideas" and "leadership".
Which basically means you expect a bunch of people to make a game for you, without even being payed. (yet you advertise it as if they're going to be payed right away, which is bad)
Trust me, I was like this when I was a kid too, but you've got to learn that the "leader" needs to have a functional role in development also. (or at least pay right away)

#8 Dhondon   Marketplace Seller   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

This is not "A PAID JOB!" Its a royalty/profit share project :angry:

Hard to pay bills and rent with possible money in the future.

Bumping several times in 24 hours. Stealing graphics.

"Artists can use anything, but a tablet would probably be really useful." What? Thats really up to what the artist prefer!

"And for the sound effects people, anything will work as long as you can give me the MP3 files on MediaFire or something." WHY?

Seriously....How old are you? Is this the first time in front of a computer?

My portfolio: Portfolio @ www.Shadow-Embryo.com 2D/3D Freelance work: GameDev Thread Marketplace Freebie: Toon Goblets

#9 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

The Baldur's Gate pic-
Someone else made that, and I never even heard about Baldur's Gate. So I guess that pic's dumped now. Now I have to find out if he copied the smiley faces or gears. :P

And yeah. I see that composers work just as hard, so the profit will be equally divided.

"'Artists can use anything, but a tablet would probably be really useful.' What? Thats really up to what the artist prefer!"

"'And for the sound effects people, anything will work as long as you can give me the MP3 files on MediaFire or something.' WHY?"

I said that the artists can use anything, but a tablet would probably be easier for them. But if they're good at drawing with their mouse, then go ahead.

And the music- I meant that they could use computer-generated sounds OR record themselves playing instruments.

#10 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

And it was two bumps, btw.

And one of them has the images.

#11 Syerjchep   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

I said that the artists can use anything, but a tablet would probably be easier for them. But if they're good at drawing with their mouse, then go ahead.

They'd be professionals (or at advanced freelancers) that already know what's best for them much better than some kid who just wants some free decals.
You shouldn't be telling them this stuff.

Besides, you didn't respond to our accusations of you not actually contributing to your own project, and how the "A PAID JOB!" is false advertising.

#12 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'm contributing.

I'm saying how I want the music, art-styles, how I want the game, what items should be in the game, how the gameplay should be, etc.
And I'm also giving concept art to the designers, then they make the design 3D and put it in the game.

Anyways, I got two composers and a coder now. And I can code a tiny bit in Java. So two composers and one-and-a-half coders.

#13 Syerjchep   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm contributing.

I'm saying how I want the music, art-styles, how I want the game, what items should be in the game, how the gameplay should be, etc.
And I'm also giving concept art to the designers, then they make the design 3D and put it in the game.

Anyways, I got two composers and a coder now. And I can code a tiny bit in Java. So two composers and one-and-a-half coders.

You don't make music, make the art, program, or pay people,
Providing little sketches of stuff you want the actual artists to make for you really doens't constitue a worthwhile contribution.
So basically you're just saying you'll tell people what you want them to do, without doing any work yourself.

Also, "A PAID JOB!" is still a lie.

#14 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

I'm contributing.

Providing little sketches of stuff you want the actual artists to make for you really doens't constitue a worthwhile contribution.
So basically you're just saying you'll tell people what you want them to do, without doing any work yourself.

Paid job isn't a lie.
The money goes to me, then we divide it through the team. And if it's uneven, I leave the extra money left over, then use it for the next month's pay. There's no definite pay, though, so it's not going to really pay anyone's bills. But it's still paid.

And also, telling people how to do stuff matters, because they could make the characters look like crap and the music might not match the settings or anything.

I've been advertising the project, too, though. So I'm directing the project, producing it, and advertising it. And after we get some money, I'm going to do paid advertisements.

#15 Syerjchep   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm contributing.

Paid job isn't a lie.
The money goes to me, then we divide it through the team. And if it's uneven, I leave the extra money left over, then use it for the next month's pay. There's no definite pay, though, so it's not going to really pay anyone's bills. But it's still paid.

And also, telling people how to do stuff matters, because they could make the characters look like crap and the music might not match the settings or anything.

I've been advertising the project, too, though. So I'm directing the project, producing it, and advertising it. And after we get some money, I'm going to do paid advertisements.

What money?
You have no money to pay?
If this project goes no where (which it will) then no one will get any money for their work.

As for your "contributions" ... bossing people around is not something to brag about, it is not a provided skill.

Trust me, I did the same exact thing here when I was a little kid.

#16 Moritz P.G. Katz   Members   -  Reputation: 1053

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

And it was two bumps, btw.

And one of them has the images.

This just goes to show you still haven't read the rules & guidelines. Here's what one of them says:

If you are adding additional content you may do so by editing your original post; do not make a new post in this case.

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

#17 Dhondon   Marketplace Seller   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Change it to royalty based or profit share. Wouldn't you feel a bit cheated if you saw an post like this?:

2D/3D game artist working for FREE!*

Experienced 2D/3D game artist working for free*. I'm available 35 hours each week! Reliable and fast!

5 years experience! Unlimited revisions!

*(all work will be watermarked and is not to be used in any personal or commercial projects, unless you pay my 40$/hour fee)
My portfolio: Portfolio @ www.Shadow-Embryo.com 2D/3D Freelance work: GameDev Thread Marketplace Freebie: Toon Goblets

#18 frederikus   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well, let me tell you one thing: Weebly will certainly not do as a central server for an MMO. Unless I'm seriously mistaken weebly is just a simple website creation website, not a generic server framework of some sort.
It really depends on the kind of MMO you're envisioning though, but it's safe to say that when you're thinking about an MMO in world of Warcraft / runescape style, you'll need a (couple of) heavy duty dedicated servers, probably with off site backup and so on and a proper pipe to supply the game to all clients. These servers will be costly to run, think of a couple of hundreds of dollars a month at the very very least.
Also you'll need to add the monthly costs for a cvs/git/whatever repository and software license costs (where applicable) and so on, and so on. Even if the people who create this game for you are willing to delay their payment till after the game starts making money, you'll still need a fair chunk of cash to pay all of this.
Do you have the financial means to pay these costs, until the game gains enough traction that it can pay for itself?

#19 Smittyblack   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well, let me tell you one thing: Weebly will certainly not do as a central server for an MMO. Unless I'm seriously mistaken weebly is just a simple website creation website, not a generic server framework of some sort.
It really depends on the kind of MMO you're envisioning though, but it's safe to say that when you're thinking about an MMO in world of Warcraft / runescape style, you'll need a (couple of) heavy duty dedicated servers, probably with off site backup and so on and a proper pipe to supply the game to all clients. These servers will be costly to run, think of a couple of hundreds of dollars a month at the very very least.
Also you'll need to add the monthly costs for a cvs/git/whatever repository and software license costs (where applicable) and so on, and so on. Even if the people who create this game for you are willing to delay their payment till after the game starts making money, you'll still need a fair chunk of cash to pay all of this.
Do you have the financial means to pay these costs, until the game gains enough traction that it can pay for itself?

Yeah, a friend's brother already has a few servers and domains and stuff. And he said we could use one for the game.

On RuneScape, isn't each world a different server?

#20 Gasoline   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

Three guys with no developing experience are looking for experienced developers to create an MMO game for them that is a mixture of RuneScape and Minecraft. In addition they are looking for a hoster that can host their MMO on a website if Weebly can not. :huh:

Posted Image

C# .NET

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS