• Create Account

Glossiness and specular

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 TiagoCosta   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2210

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

What is the relation between specular light and glossiness of a material?

I see in presentations that games often store glossiness and specular of material and use both to lighting equation... However I don't really understand it...

Also, all objects I use in my projects have specular maps should they also have glossiness maps?

Sponsor:

#2 CryZe   Members   -  Reputation: 768

1Likes

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

The specularity value is the attenuation factor of the specular reflection. The glossiness value describes how "sharp" or "blurry" the specular reflection is. It's also known as the specular exponent. This is how it would look like in the specular part of the Blinn-Phong model:

specularFactor * (N.H)^glossiness

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30389

1Likes

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

In CryZe's post above, the "specularFactor" is sometimes also called the "spec mask" or "gloss mask", and "glossiness" is sometimes called "spec power".

Yay for unified terminology Posted Image

#4 TiagoCosta   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2210

0Likes

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

So it was only a problem of terminology... Because I didn't knew that "spec power"="glossiness".

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS