• Create Account

Starting out in Game Programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 nitishk   Members   -  Reputation: 161

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hi guys!
Just signed up for this forum, looking for some help in game programming
I just learned C and i am moving to C++, i already have some basic C++ knowledge as well as basic OOP know how
I wanted to know what is the best way that i can start game programming?
What api should i use, or what game engine?
im leaning towards sdl, but am open to other options.
the api should preferably be in c but i wouldnt mind c++, becuause if its in c++ i get to use more c++ and therefore learn more c++
also any good books on c++ or c++ game programming that you know of?
Also, what is a good user friendly ide that i should use?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5793

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

http://gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

It's long, but answers every question you just asked and more.

#3 Rakso   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Personaly i would go for Allegro instead of sdl its more of my choise and for IDE i would pick Visual C++ thats my absolute favorite. :)

#4 nitishk   Members   -  Reputation: 161

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the link, ill read it later but looks very thorough

does allegro or sdl make better games? i am willing to learn whichever but which is faster? which is easier?

i installed visual basic c++ express and it looks way to complex. L0L, maybe when i am a bit more experienced
i think i am gonna use codeblocks for now

#5 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5793

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the link, ill read it later but looks very thorough

does allegro or sdl make better games? i am willing to learn whichever but which is faster? which is easier?

i installed visual basic c++ express and it looks way to complex. L0L, maybe when i am a bit more experienced
i think i am gonna use codeblocks for now

Allgero and SDL are both very comprable, although I would probably recommend SFML over either.

#6 nitishk   Members   -  Reputation: 161

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

Choosing between the two was hard enough and you just added another to the mix, haha
i looked up SFML , and it looks really new and much more complete, but it has much more to learn i think.

Out of all of them, which one would i learn the most from?

#7 Net Gnome   Members   -  Reputation: 773

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

Choosing between the two was hard enough and you just added another to the mix, haha
i looked up SFML , and it looks really new and much more complete, but it has much more to learn i think.

Out of all of them, which one would i learn the most from?

Its not necesisarily the API or Library that you learn, moreso the design techniques associated with games. Master those, and its just a "simple" matter of translation between APIs or languages. Now that is obviously the easy answer, but in all honesty, whether you're coding in C, C++, C#, Java, Python, JOGL, XNA, SDL, SFML, OpenGL, DirectX, or whatnot, you still need to know how to design and implement a game architecture before you even worry about drawing pixels or handling input because those decisions determine whether or not you're game will run efficiently for your game type or be able to even to support your game concept

#8 nitishk   Members   -  Reputation: 161

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

So I read that article and I think that I am gonna do a but more learning before I start game programming, so for now I think I will start with some OOC concepts
Thanks for all the replies

#9 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5793

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

So I read that article and I think that I am gonna do a but more learning before I start game programming, so for now I think I will start with some OOC concepts
Thanks for all the replies

That is probably the best decision you will ever make, good job. :)

And don't worry, it wont take too long.

#10 Jacob Jingle   Members   -  Reputation: 223

1Likes

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

I wanted to know what is the best way that I can start game programming?

If you want to make a quality game, fast, I would just go with the unreal engine or the like. Or even better, if I was you, I would just use flashdevelop/flashpunk for a flash game. C/C++ will take you a long, long time to learn and even more to master(Even more if you're aiming to make a good game that you can sell).
If it's a learning experience you really, really, really want, I would pick opengl and do a simple pong clone(using links I provided), no ball, shaders. And then from there go for a game that's harder to do. And then something harder. Etc.
OpenGL header files(4.2)
G-Truc OpenGL Sample Packs
Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/
And Google

Avoid a site called NeHe at all cost unless you're aiming to develop older versions of opengl that use deprecated code.

any good books on c++ or c++ game programming that you know of?

No, in my experience most of them are a waste of money and you could do better with Google.

Also, what is a good user friendly ide that i should use?

(Windows specific) If you're looking for free and easy you can't go wrong with Microsoft's Express Edition. If you want to pay...you again can't go wrong with Microsoft pay version. I don't think anyone in this group will argue that.

#11 Gl_Terminator   Members   -  Reputation: 448

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

visit http://vasilydev.blogspot.com/2011/08/ten-things-to-achieve-when-starting-3d.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS