• Create Account

Questions regarding 3D models [Direct3D]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Honas   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hellooo gamedev,
I want to make a larger 3D game with DirectX and sample models do not suffice.
I also want my models to be animated (bonus: being able to control certain parts independently, for example the mouth of a humanoid character).

1. What is a good way to load them in my programm?
2. What about file formats?
3. Which programs should I use to create them / export?

Thanks in advance. (I will update this post.)

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5182

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

Hellooo gamedev,
I want to make a larger 3D game with DirectX and sample models do not suffice.
I also want my models to be animated (bonus: being able to control certain parts independently, for example the mouth of a humanoid character).

1. What is a good way to load them in my programm?
2. What about file formats?
3. Which programs should I use to create them / export?

Thanks in advance. (I will update this post.)

1. Generally you write your own importer code. People often use obj format because its amongst the easiest. That said, DX9 provides the X format and loaders that go with it. DX10/11 replaced it with sdkmesh, which I have no experience with.

2. COLLADA (.dae) is the defacto format for moving between 3d apps, while 3ds and obj are the most commonly implemented, due to their relative ease. Both are quite outdated however.

3. Pick one that list is fairly comprehensive and has download links where applicable.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS