• Create Account

Best library for doing text in OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Jingle   Members   -  Reputation: 223

0Likes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

What's the best c++ library for doing anti-aliased text in OpenGL?

Best = portable to Windows and Linux, easy to use, doesn't use deprecated code, makes it easy to deal with user changing font, fast, opengl 4.1-2 glsl 4.1, etc.

Sponsor:

#2 sinalta   Members   -  Reputation: 257

1Likes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

I've had good experience with FreeType 2, it's under a pretty nice license too from what I remember.

#3 zacaj   Members   -  Reputation: 643

1Likes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Its surprisingly easy to write your own using Freetype. If youre looking for a regular library, well also need to know what version of openGL youre targetting. Most dont work with 1,2,3, and 4

#4 Katie   Members   -  Reputation: 1302

1Likes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Pango/Cairo. Drop it on a texture. Draw it to your screen. Cross platform. Renders everything from plain text up to simple HTML markup. Handles i18n. Everyone always ignores this recommendation without trying it I don't know why.

#5 Jacob Jingle   Members   -  Reputation: 223

0Likes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Its surprisingly easy to write your own using Freetype. If youre looking for a regular library, well also need to know what version of openGL you're targeting. Most don't work with 1,2,3, and 4

I'm looking to go with 4.1 and up.

#6 zacaj   Members   -  Reputation: 643

1Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

In that case, youre going to have trouble finding any libraries. I had this problem a few months ago, and if I remember, I only even found one library that supported 3.0+ (3/4 should be compatable) Im trying to find that one, but Im not having much luck. Your best bet is to just write something yourself, its only like 300 lines of code for a complete text class

EDIT: http://www.lighthouse3d.com/very-simple-libs/vsfl/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS