• Create Account

[OFFERED] 2D Artist (Paid)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hi! My name is Silviu, I'm from Romania, and so far I've been self employed. My monthly income comes mainly from Google ads placed strategically (more or less) on Websites that I own. It's not much, but hey, it's a living. Like everyone else on this planet, I would like to earn more money, so this is me offering my services to someone out there who thinks he has a little money to spend on his child project.

I'm looking for paying positions only, since I don't have time to chase dreams (aka the next revolutionary MMORPG out there). You'll understand what I'm saying when you'll grow a little older. Not in age, but in experience. And yes, I know what I'm talking about; we had a nice 3D strategy PC game to sell, we had a great publisher, but... I'll stick to but, since it's not nice to talk bad about people. Or publishers... If you're curious, also for referring purpose, here's the game I'm talking about: http://rageofwar.net/3drow.html (screenshots available).

You can contact me through PM, my e-mail is: sgchr (at) yahoo.com or via Yahoo! messenger, if you have that, my ID is:
sgchr
You can also find me, occassionally, on Skype: silviu.ploisteanu

I consider myself pretty good at what I do and I am 100% confident that I can turn your project into a successful one with my art. But enough talking! Let me show you a few samples of my work.

Update 5: Several alien ship concepts from a personal project:
Posted Image

See the bigger image...

The current project I'm working on is called Asgard Heroes and it's a strategy browser-based game.
Posted Image
See the bigger image...

Posted Image
See the bigger image...

Posted Image
See the bigger image...

These are screenshots from the game, the last showing the GUI. If you want to see the animations
on those buildings, feel free to register and check them out at http://www.asgardheroes.com

This one below is from an older project of mine called Xeno Online.

Posted Image
See the bigger image...

This one is from my next project, not polished yet, a work in progress.
Posted Image
See the bigger image...

And a list of artifacts... Sorry for the fog in the image above and the grid for this one below,
but I am merely protecting my unpublished work. I hope you understand.
Posted Image
Posted Image
See the bigger image...

Update 1: Here's aTower Defensegame made with Game Maker for which I did the graphics. It's old, but I wanted to show you that I can also create animated sprites. It's playable, yes, but was never finished. Copyright by Evolution Vault. All rights reserved.

Update 2: Raw concept for an iPhone game. This is only a mockup, graphics are not final... Posted Image
Posted Image
See the bigger image...

Update 3: Because we all like good looking girls...
Posted Image

Update 4: Sci-fi interface. God is in the details. ;)
Posted Image
See the bigger image...

That's all folks! I will post future references when appropriate. For your information, I charge for piece of art, like for eg. the fantasy artifacts image (as a whole) above. You tell me what you need, give me the specifics, we negotiate a price and then I'll get to work. Thank you for your time and have a great day. Posted Image

♥♥♥ Legen... wait for it... dary Game Art for your every needs! ♥♥♥

Sponsor:

#2 rosegold   Members   -  Reputation: 117

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

I love your art, but the tone of this post honestly made me never want to hire you. A good idea may be to not treat your potential clients as if they are little children before you even talk to them.

#3 Mariachi   Members   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

I love your art, but the tone of this post honestly made me never want to hire you. A good idea may be to not treat your potential clients as if they are little children before you even talk to them.

On the contrary, I found TheGuardian's style very professional and considerate.

And let's be honest, most replies are going to be from children (who'll want to make a Borderlands MMO FPS but with zombies, and for profit share), so the repeated "serious and paid only" reminders make a lot of sense.

Sorry for the white knighting, Silviu. And of course, superb work!

my 2D art!

~ Does your game win the Indie Project Bingo? Click to find out! ~

#4 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

Hello again. Because I received a lot of requests to show my fantasy art, I updated my first post with two samples.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion of course. However, I would like to work with serious individuals who know what they're doing and have a big chance of getting that project done and out there, so I can be proud too of the work I've done.Therefore, yes, if you want to create that next revolutionary MMO, it's better you don't contact me. They all are... revolutionary. That is, in the designer's mind.

Thank you for your support, Mariachi, I appreciate it. Have a good weekend guys!
Posted Image

#5 teutonicus   Members   -  Reputation: 518

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:57 AM

I like your work. A lot of those artifacts look very very similar to Diablo II artwork though. Not that there is a problem with that, the Diablo II versions are awesome.

#6 elondon   Members   -  Reputation: 242

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

I agree. Very professional and I like your work a lot. The tone of the post is exactly the tone you need if you are professional and looking to work with professionals. Lets be honest, for each professional around here, there are a number of teenagers who want to build a hybrid of World of Warcraft and Star Wars with 4 different engines and no money. :)
"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."

#7 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

Thanks guys! I grow up with Blizzard games and I love them all so you can understand why I am influenced so much by their art. Diablo 2 is my favorite RPG of all times! And Starcraft 1 was the game that convinced me to go into game development in the first place. I wanted to make a strategy game like it, but better. Well, I was a little bit naive at the time; Blizzard games have no match, really. But that doesn't matter now... :)

#8 Mariachi   Members   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thanks guys! I grow up with Blizzard games and I love them all so you can understand why I am influenced so much by their art. Diablo 2 is my favorite RPG of all times! And Starcraft 1 was the game that convinced me to go into game development in the first place. I wanted to make a strategy game like it, but better. Well, I was a little bit naive at the time; Blizzard games have no match, really. But that doesn't matter now... :)

So you've been honing you skills only since SC1?
That's some really impressive effort!
Choose your projects wisely, and -- good luck! Your're definitely pro caliber!!

my 2D art!

~ Does your game win the Indie Project Bingo? Click to find out! ~

#9 Lyr1c   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

I agree.

This is the polar opposite of professional and is nothing short of demeaning to your potential clients.

Anyone saying otherwise is only saying so because the OP appears to be female.

Proper communication is a huge part of professionalism and the OP failed here.

#10 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

The "OP?" What's that? Anyway, he is not a female; says "Male" on my gender at the profile. I disagree; this is "proper communication." Like I said, I don't want to waste my time and theirs with wishful thinking. I've shown what I can do, I have the experience, the know-how, and I am confident that I can do this.

Maybe I want to make sure that my artwork will be for a project that will see the day light. I like to work with individuals who know what they want and go for it, no matter the obstacles in their path. I don't have time for games, although this may sound a little out of context, because it is what we do around here.

Lyr1c, it's okay, you don't need to agree. It would have been nice if you let people who are really interested about my offer to do so. Besides, this post favors me; I received request from people who really want to make a game, instead of creating that next "revolutionary" MMO. Again. Anyway, I will not respond to another critique, because I don't want to turn this post into a flame war. It is what it is, take it or leave it. Posted Image

#11 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

Update: Added download link for the Tower Defense game. Here's a screenshot:
Posted Image

#12 rosegold   Members   -  Reputation: 117

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Feel free to not reply to this, but I certainly want to address the comments made.

It's more professional to say "sorry children, I don't have time for your dreams" instead of oh, say, "I'm afraid I absolutely have no time for unpaid work, as that time is spent making my own games"? I am an artist, I would never ask an artist for unpaid work for a commercial venture, and I understand very well an artist's time. I have spent thousands and still have thousands to spend on art. I would never spend that money on an artist who said "they didn't have time for dreams for children". A true professional is professional even in the face of the silly MMO people. It is very easy to politely say "I'm sorry, but I do not have the time to commit to an MMO, as I prefer to pursue short projects".

Still standing by my initial assessment, but good luck.

#13 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'm afraid I am not a professional; I am just a guy who can draw stuff. You misunderstood me: I only said that "I don't have time to chase for dreams (aka the next revolutionary MMORPG out there)" because I'm looking for paid work and not for collaboration with people who want to build their dream MMO. This doesn't mean that I will not commit to an MMO, provided that it's paid work.

On the contrary! I will draw whatever it's needed for your project, and I will commit to it 100%. Often people who got together to build an MMORPG will look for artists on a collaboration basis, and this is what I want to avoid (people contacting me to work with them for free). Any team building an MMO for the first time has slim chances to finish the project, because the work involved into creating such game is exhausting and people working for free (not speaking about me here) will usually do it because they want to add stuff to their portfolios and they will do it on their own pace aka very slow.

Besides, the longer it takes for the project to complete, the more demotivated the team will become. From my own experience, it takes enormous self-discipline, focus and dedication to build an MMO. I tried once to make one with people gathered from around the globe, all working for free. It was very difficult to keep the team focused on the goal and motivate them to dedicate more of their time to work. I quickly found myself and the programmer working hard at this project, as we used to, while the team contributed very little (except the sound composers, who were amazing). Therefore, I concluded that we can't do this amount of work by ourselves and the project was stopped.

Again, it's not a personal preference to pursue short projects; I can definitely draw for MMORPGs, provided that is paid work. I understand your concern, but I feel that you misunderstood me. Thank you for stating your thoughts though and I sincerely wish you good-luck too in your future endeavors. Posted Image

#14 Dhondon   Marketplace Seller   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

Some good stuff you got there TheGuardian. Nice vibrant graphics.

Best way to get rid of all these 14 years old MMO idea-guys, is to write that you'll consider joining when they have an 100% playable version with placeholders and programmers art :)
My portfolio: Portfolio @ www.Shadow-Embryo.com 2D/3D Freelance work: GameDev Thread Marketplace Freebie: Toon Goblets

#15 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Update: Added raw concept for iPhone game.
@Dhondon
Thanks man, but I think that my method works just fine. I was already contacted by people who want to do serious work and I would like to thank them for that. I am still open to other proposals. :)

#16 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Update: Added trading card concept with girls. I like trading girls. :P

#17 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

Update: Added sci-fi interface. I was very lucky to find some amazing people to work with for the next two or three months.
I have room for one more contract. Thank you GameDev.net!
:)

#18 Art Whiz   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

Update 5: Added several alien ship concepts from a personal project, a Tower Defense/DotA type of game for iPhones.
Also, I have one opening right now. If you're interested, do get in-touch: sgchr[at]yahoo.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS