• Create Account

Starting Language

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 cazenave0232   Members   -  Reputation: 95

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hello last week I started college in the computer networking engineer program. I am really interested in learing to code and make games, as well as all the networking stuff. On my off time I would like to start learning how to code and making small games on the side until I get better at it. What would be the best language to start with for a beginner?

Sponsor:

#2 beatlefan   Members   -  Reputation: 198

1Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

take a look at this.

#3 cazenave0232   Members   -  Reputation: 95

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

so c# is best to start with?

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8477

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Read this forum's FAQ (scroll up, click, read).
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5160

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

so c# is best to start with?

Is blue better than green?

That said, if it were me, today, and I was using a PC I would pick c#.

#6 Divisor   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

if some one sucks on reading is there any els options to learn c++... i am really interested in it...

i have done some few scripts to a wow emulator arcemu..

#7 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 651

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

C# + XNA is my vote
reall simple to start with, can build games for Xbox( XNA Gold Membership Required ) with little to no tweaking.
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#8 Divisor   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

well i want so script to World of warcraft and make games my own...

kida if i make my own wow server... and so on and make some simple fun scirpt to windows :D

#9 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 651

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

well i want so script to World of warcraft and make games my own...

kida if i make my own wow server... and so on and make some simple fun scirpt to windows :D

if these answers dont suit you, start your own topic explaining what you want and the knowledge you have etc.
:) :) :)
Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#10 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1579

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

Good places to start learning to program, in no real order:

C#
Java
Python (My personal favourite.)
Formal Logic course from a local university's Philosophy program.

All languages have their pros and cons, but something that you learn and understand in one language will help you learn others. Pick one, stick with it for awhile, and don't learn another unless you have a good reason to.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS