• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Interview

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 RanBlade   Members   -  Reputation: 648

0Likes

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

I have a question about the job interview for a programming position, I've never had to do a real job interview before with my line of work. I was just curious how formal the suit or attire is for a programming interview? Does it need to be the full blown suit/tie or a little less formal. I don't want to overdress or under dress for my interviews and to find out what I need to buy because I don't really own a suit or any "formal" clothing. Thank you in advance.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10062

1Likes

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Do not wear a suit!
Dress one notch above how you will dress at work.
If you normally will wear blue jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt, then wear blue jeans with a button-down shirt and nice shoes.

If you show up wearing a necktie, everybody will snicker about the dweeb who thinks he has to dress up. They'll hide the snicker and be polite, but the point is, it's a bad first impression you'd have to overcome.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 Palidine   Members   -  Reputation: 1279

1Likes

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Ask the HR representative that's setting up the interview for you. This is a normal question to ask, and I've asked it before every interview. Different offices have different dress codes and expectations for interview candidates.

-me

#4 RanBlade   Members   -  Reputation: 648

0Likes

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thank you both very much for the replies. I will use both of your suggestions.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS